Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Post WPW

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Post WPW

I have had a Radio frequency ablation for the treatment of WPW and AF in Bordeaux France on the 2 nd of March 2005, where there is a very good center for cardiology.  3 months ago i made a general blood test which included liver enzimes and hepititus etc... every thing was normal. After the ablation when i was monitering my blood coagilation INR i decided to make some liver tests. all was normal ecept for my SGPT it was 107.i got a bit worried so i repeated the test after one week and it was SGPT 72. then the week after it was 83. i don't know the reason, but i know that i have been taking lots of medication prior and after the ablation. Prior the ablation: Cordarone for 20 days.
post ablation: paracitamol for two days = 3000
Bisoprlol, xanax, cipralex for panic disorder and Sintrom for my coagulation.
I am a smoker, and a regular drinker, but i have been off drinking for 1 and a half month.

Could my SGPT have risen due to the ablation or medications. and what do u advice me to do. and could my SGPT level fall back to normal?
not
I'm not sure what the 3000 meant after the paracitamol - but if it is the dose, typically more than 4,000mg is needed to cause liver damage.  

That being said, it is entirely possible that the elevation in liver function could arise from any number of the medications you are taking.  The alcohol use can also affect the liver function tests.  

I would consider blood tests looking for hepatitis, as well as a right upper quadrant ultrasound (which wouldn't be a bad idea regardless, since you have right upper quadrant pain).  

If negative, discussing with your physician stopping some medications and rechecking the liver enzymes would be the next reasonable step.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b