Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Post surgery constipation

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Post surgery constipation

I had a hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and a cyst removed from my finger two weeks ago.  I was on pain pills for a while, and I knew ahead of time that I would experience constipation.  I am still having trouble.  the Dr recommended four Colace a day and Milk of Magnesia once a day. It does nothing.  I am trying a mixture of Purne juice, apple sauce and Metemucil,  I take two tablespoons three times a day and Still nothing.  I get so impacted and am so miserable.  Does anyone have a sure fire way of getting things moving again-normally?  I do see the Dr for my final Post OP visit this week.  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks TLynn
Thats a lot of stuff to take - you should be ready to burst. My only advice is get moving. Go for a walk. Don't take this as if I'm thinking your just sitting around. After recovering from surgery. It takes time for things to move. The best thing to do is help your body by moving yourself. I've been through 3 abdominal surgeries. Thrust me this will help you. Not a hysterectomy, but 2 c-sections, and a major ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit - which took a tube and ovary with it.
I agree wholeheartedly with lor - try to get some exercise if you can. Also, you might try some more serious fiber than all that liquid stuff. Apples, grapes, and other fruits with skin, as well as bran cereal and other whole grains are all good.
Here's some information from a friend of mine who is recovering from spine surgery, and who has had a horrid problem with constipation:

> My constipation is being "controlled" with Colace and Senokot - and
> reducing Darvon as low as I can go.  I tried this green liquid that
> friends who are doctors recommended.  They said that they prescribe it
> for all of their postsurgical patients and it works great.  I HATED it.
> It tasted terrible and it made me bloated and yucky.  I could look up the
> name of it if you want to try it.  It is prescription only.
> If one becomes completely impacted and suppositories and
> enemas don't work he should get Magnesium Citrate and drink the whole
> bottle?  Refrigerating the lemon flavor is about as good as you can get.
> It is over the counter and no name.  So at Long's it is Long's brand.
Thank you every one for your comments.  I had my last post op. check up.  The Dr said to take Milk of Magnesia every 6 hours until I started going and then use lots of fiber.  the M of M works but then when I use just the fiber my bowels seem to stop working normally.  He said after a couple weeks to go see a gastro Dr.  I do walk or ride my bike at least 2.5 miles a day for exercise and still have trouble.  
I really appreciate your help. Thanks