Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Prevacid

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Prevacid

Does anyone take Prevacid?  My daughter who is 16 was put on it because can't figure out why she has diarrhea twice a day.  Dr. thinks it is IBS. She is on Prevacid once a day and 1 tablet citricel twice a day.  Seems to be doing better.  Thanks for any info!
I take Prevacid which is typically prescribed for reflux, GERD or Gastritis.  I never heard of it being prescribed for IBS or diarrhea.  In fact, one of the side effects of taking Prevacid is diarrhea!  

Were tests run on your daughter?
My husband takes prevacid twice daily and I have also heard that it can cause diahrea.
I take prevacid 30mg daily and it does wonders for my acid related problems. Some of those problems before taking the prevacid was occasional bouts of constipation or diarreah (diarrhea) because of the acid and indigestion. Since the prevacid I have had none of that. My BM's are always normal and overall I feel great. I used to be stressed out because of my stomach which only made matters worse and symptoms worse. She is 16 and probably is worried about a lot socially/academically, I wouldn't think that the prevacid would do any harm. Its only an acid blocker and as far as saying one of its side effects is diarreah (diarrhea), what prescription doesn't have the warning that it might cause diarreah (diarrhea)? I would say give it a chance, but be sure to take it regularly and see if it works. It helped ALL my symptoms.
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.  SHE IS NOW ON NEXEUM BECAUSE SHE RAN OUT OF HER FREE SAMPLES FROM HER DOCTOR AND OUR INSURANCE WON'T COVER PREVACID SO THEY PUT HER ON NEXEUM  ANY COMMENTS?
Nexium made me sick so I had to go back to Prevacid.  I've heard this a few times that insurance won't pay for Prevacid but they will pay for Nexium - why?

If she starts to feel worse with Nexium, tell her to stop and call the doctor.  He should be able to presribe another PPI, there are hundreds out there.
I'm on Nexium 40 mg a day and it works wonders. I have severe GERD and it controls my symptoms so I can get through the day. I haven't had any side effects from it, but some people just can't tolerate it. I've had some adverse reactions to some other types of acid blockers and reducers that other people swear by. I guess it depends on your own body. I'm 19, and have been on it for almost a year now. I have to pay for my own Nexium prescription because it's not covered, but then again, I'm in Canada. I know nothing about what's covered or not in the US.
you might want to check out these web sites: www.phrma.org and www.needymeds.org  these sites have numerous phrma. companys (lilly,upjohn,etc.) that provide free drugs for people on low income or insurance problems. good-luck