Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Prolonged use of Fibercon pills?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Prolonged use of Fibercon pills?
I have severe constipation but seem to get relief when taking
fibercon pills daily. The bottle claims they are natural, safe
for everyday use and non habit forming..but is this true?
Is it okay to take these everyday all the time?
Lori
As far as I know, these are just made of dietary fiber which you should be eating every day.  I don't think there would be any problem taking fibercon long term
Yes, you can take them everyday, but realize that if you ever stop them and do not eat enough fiber, you will get severe constiation again.  Your body gets used to that extra fiber.
Lori,
Fibercon helps relieves symptoms of constipation, but a more healthy and normal route would be to instill fiber in your diet. You should slowly increase your fiber intake, slowly begin to exercise, and drink atleast 64 ounces(8 8oz. glasses) of water a day. There is nothing wrong with taking fibercon, and perhaps you could try a combination of this diet adjustment and fibercon at first, but having a dependence on any drug is not the norm. Remember start slow and the natural route like the diet adjustment is always better. And even if you are not exercising at all, some mobility goes a long way.
Fibercon and Metamucil or anything like that is actually for your digestive system I have taken them for years with no ill effect.
Worked well for a few weeks but then began having severe and sudden bowel discharge with no control.  Discontinued and changed to Metimuscil once a day.  No longer have same problem.
I too have suffered for years with cronic constipation, and my family practicioner told me they were safe to take and yet after now i have been taking them, they don't seem to work as well. what has been your reaction.
My doctor recommended Fibercon after severe bout of ulcerative colitis caused by raw chicken bacteria.  Been taking them for 10 years and my colon problem has been inactive for years.  WARNING:  You MUST drink 6 to 8 glasses of water every day, or Fibercon doesn't work right.
asd
My GP said it was okay to take them every day, even during pregnancy.  He started me out on one a day for a week.  He said if I did not obtain the relief I needed, to two a day for a week, and so on until I was comfortably passing on a daily basis.
Yes, Lori, FiberCon is safe for everyday use as the active ingredient is not absorbed in the system.  Calcium Polycarbophil (CPC) is safe and non-habit forming, although it is a synthetic substance.  The fact that it is synthetic and not absorbed in the system is the reason it is safe to take every day. Just make sure you are not treating a more serious condition that warrants a physician's attention
My daughter who is 12 has been taking Fibercon for several years.  She chews them and then takes some liquid with them but I can never get her to take the whole 8 oz.  I don't know if it's connected but since November she has been having stomach cramps off & on and they seem to be getting worse.  We have been to the doctor 4 times and they can't seem to find out what's wrong.  He now wants to refer her to a pediatric garenterologist but we can't get in for an appt. until June, 3 months away.  I don't think she can put up with these pains until then.  Any suggestions?
***@****

I had severe constipation due to the side effects of some the medication I take.  Found that if I take 2 tablets of fibercon in the A.M. and 2 tablets in the P.M.  plus colace and enulose, a mild laxative I am relieved of the constipation.  Is this procedure safe for a 75 year old person?  I exercise and eat a high fiber diet.  I am in good health.
A related discussion, Fibercon Usage was started.