Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Pyloric Stenosis in Adults. Need Info.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Pyloric Stenosis in Adults. Need Info.

I had an EGD yesterday (after 1.5 years of stomach problems) and was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis that resulted from scar tissue from an ulcer (likely NSAID induced). Apparently the doctor was unable to even get his scope through the pylorus initially and had to break it up.

I have found little to no information regarding this condition in adults. All the research deals with this in infants.  I would like to find out more information so that I may better handle this, but it just doesn't exist.  

First off, if it was almost completely blocked off, how did food pass through?  I have stopped the Vioxx, and am awaiting the results of the biopsy taken during the EGD.  What else can I do--foods to avoid, foods to eat more of, etc?  I don't drink or smoke and I quit drinking coffee and soda a long time ago due to the stomach problems.  I haven't been able to eat much because I get full so fast or feel sick and have lost weight.  Will this get better now that it has been "broken up."  

Any info anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
I would think that you should follow the same dietary guidelines that I do for gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). In my case the stomach does not work properly to push the food through.
It also affects the rest of the digestive tract in the same way.Since the pylorus is part of the stomach, the condition can mimic the symptoms. I would follow a low fiber diet. Any foods that are mechanically difficult to digest, especially things like whole grains, nuts, foods with skin or seeds, fresh vegetables and most fruits. You would probably do okay with foods that break down easily, which are carbohydrates. Potatoes, pasta, cereals (no bran, etc), rice, etc. Also red meat is very hard to digest, as are fats. If you feel like you are not getting enough calories, try smoothies or a supplement drink like Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast. Try that and see if it helps. Can't hurt. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your advice.  It would make sense to follow the same dietary guidlines as you, given the type of condition you have.

It's interesting that you listed the foods you did because that's what I've found works the best.  I eat a mostly carbs like cereal and toast (is white bread okay, I'm not a big wheat fat).  It gets pretty old eating that stuff all the time, but luckily I've always been a fan of breakfast food. :) And I've pretty much given up red meat, which was absolute number one favorite thing to eat before.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Becs
I am glad you found that helpful. I am going to look for the link for the dietary guidelines, that gives more information. Also, if you do a search using gastroparesis, or delayed stomach emptying or stomach motility disorder (which is very similar to what you have as an end result), you should also find more information.
White bread is actually better than wheat, though I am able to eat the stone ground wheat, just no whole grains. Avoid heavy breads like bagels, pizza dough, etc. I think our bodies eventually tell our brains what we want to eat, I know I used to love steak, but it became so unpleasant eating it (afterwards), that I found it easy to give up.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gastroparesis/files/GP%20Diet/LowFibreResidueDiet.jpg

don't know if that will get your through, but try it.
Jo
Thank you!
I had it 8 yrs ago and they did a J bypass and I eat anything
A related discussion, question about pyloric stenosis in adults was started.
A related discussion, Need Help!  Acute Pancreatitis might be Pyloric Stenosis!! was started.
A related discussion, After gallbladder surgery was started.