Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
QUESTION FOR CONCERNED LADY OR ANY ONE ELSE HOW CAN ANS.

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

I HAVE BEEN TAKING NEXIUM 40MG ONCE A DAY FOR 2 MONTHS AND ONE HALF.  I WOULD LIKE TO STOP TAKING THEM.  I HAVE SEEN THE PAGE ABOUT REFLUX TIPS YOU HAVE BEEN POSTING THEM.  I LIKE TO KNOW THAT ONE YOU BEGAN TAKING DGL, YOU STOP TAKING ANTIACIDS RIGHT AWAY, OR YOU TOOK YOUR ANTIACIDS PLUS YOUR DGL AT THE SAME TIME.  I LIKE TO KNOW HOW AND WHEN I NEED TO STOP TAKING NEXIUM AND STAR TAKING DGL.  BY THE WAY, I AM HAVING A PH PROBE AND MONOMETRY IN ABOUT 10 DAYS,  THE DOCTOR TELL ME I NEED TO STOP TAKING NEXIUM 3DAYS BEFORE THE TEST. I THINK THIS WILL BE A GOOD TIME TO STAR USING DGL. BY THE WAY, I STARTED USING SLIPPERY ELM LOZENGES  BECAUSE I FEEL A LUMP IN MY THROAT, AND THEY HELP A BIT.

THANKS CONCERNEDLADY

OMARTO.

MY EMAIL IS:  omar.***@****

PS. THE MORE CHRONIC YOUR POSTING GETS, THE BETTER BECAUSE YOU ARE RECRUITING MORE PEOPLE TO WEAN OFF PPI'S AND OTHER ANTIACIDS.

GOD BLESS YOU.

I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR RESPONSE.
1 Comment
Dear Omarto,

Thank you for your nice comments.

Here's what I would do, if I were you:

Start taking the chewable DGL tablets NOW, WHILE you are still taking the Nexium. Keep using the DGL tablets, chewing one or two tablets shortly before EACH MEAL. Do this for ABOUT two weeks.

While you are using the DGL chewable tablets, and while you are still using the Nexium, try ALL the OTHER "gastric reflux tips", ALSO, for those two weeks.

Then, if you start to feel some relief (healing), ASK YOUR DOCTOR AND YOUR PHARMACIST for a "weaning"/"tapering down" schedule, for the Nexium, to help you to VERY SLOWLY decrease the dosage of the Nexium (if safe for you to do so).

KEEP USING THE DGL, slippery elm, and other "tips", WHILE you slowly wean off the Nexium. Don't suddenly stop taking the Nexium, because suddenly stopping this acid blocker med, can cause "REBOUND" EXTRA STOMACH ACID PRODUCTION!

Keep using the DGL shortly before EVERY meal, etc. even AFTER you are finally off the Nexium. Keep us posted on how all this works for you! Use the DGL for 3 months longer, AFTER you are healed. Then, stop the DGL, and see what happens. If necessary, start using the DGL again, at that time. Continue to see the doctor, to monitor your progress towards healing your esophagus, stomach, etc.

I'll post "Some Gastric Reflux Tips" below here, for your convenience, and to share with others too!

I hope this helps! I hope you feel better soon!

Sincerely, Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS (without acid blockers):

GER=Gastro-Esophageal Reflux. (Gastro=stomach. Esophagus=food tube.)

LPR= Laryngeal-Pharyngeal Reflux. (Larynx=voice box, containing the 2 vocal cords. Pharynx=throat, above the larynx. The larynx is above the trachea/windpipe.)

Reflux=acidic or alkaline stomach material that backs up into the esophagus (food tube), causing any of these problems: VCD/Vocal Cord Dysfunction/Laryngospasm attacks, cough, voice problems, asthma, globus (feeling of lump in throat), constant need to clear throat, worsening of sinus condition, sore throat, pre-cancerous conditions of throat &/or esophagus, etc.

SOME GER/LPR CONTROL THINGS WE DO, that we learned from the excellent book: STOMACH AILMENTS AND DIGESTIVE DISTURBANCES, by Michael T. Murray, N.D. See page 9, References, in my website: http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com   and, also see GER/LPR info on page 5, and on LINKS page.

PLEASE READ THIS GREAT BOOK. It may possibly be bought on-line, from Michael T. Murray