Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Question about using enema

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Question about using enema

I have to go for a flexible sigmoidoscopy, as my gasterentologist suspects I may have colitis. I have been instructed to give myself two fleet enemas the morning of the appointment. I read the enema instructions and they seem to put me in a position where I don't think I would be able to insert the enema. Does it really matter what position I am in? I think it would be easiest if I just sat on the toilet with my legs spread and went in from the front. Is there a particular reason why the instructions say that I should be lying on my side with my knees bent? I have never had an enema before and I don't want to screw it up by doing it the wrong way. Please advise. Thanks.
yes, you really should be laying down if at all possible only because it will come right back out.  An enema gives you a major urge to go almost instantly not only because of the pressure of the fluid inside but also because of the chemicals that make up the enema as well and the longer you can hold it in the better and it is extremely difficult to hold it in sitting on the toilet.  As you can imagine, think about it, you sit on the toilet because that is the position that your body is in to let it out, so why would it keep it in?:-)  Anyway,  Try lying flat on your back with a leg cropped up on something.  Try several positions or try the seated postion just lying down.  Did that make any sense?  Anyway I hope that helps.  I have had to have many enemas in my short lifetime due to childbirth and gastro problems and I definately would not reccommend sitting on the toilet as it would just come right back out.  Good Luck to you!
:-)

Smokeater!
You should be lying on your left side with your right leg drawn up and bent at the knee. Reach behind and insert the nozzle. Stay on the left side until you have a strong urge to move your bowel--usually about 10-15 mins.  Laying on your left side lets the enema work much better for you. Good Luck!!
Thanks for your advice. Lying flat on my back with my legs up seems doable. I will try that if lying on my left side proves problematic. Why the left side and not the right side. What's the difference? I am a lefty, so the right side would be easier for me. Also, do I need to insert the entire long tip of the enema?
Yes, it's best to lay on your LEFT side. I worked as an aide in a nursing home and had to give enemas every day. Because of the way out colon is shaped, it works best on the left and lay there for at least 15 minutes. I had to give myself 3 enemas in a row once when celexa caused my bowels to quit working and although it sound like a hard position, it's acutally quite easy and painless. Insert the tip as far as it will go so the liquid getsup in there. It is lubricated and won't hurt. Just pull your knees up and reach around behind. That's easier than on your back between your legs. And it's the correct way to do it.
A related discussion, is it true?? was started.