Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Questions about CT

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Questions about CT

Today I had an appointment with my gastroenterologist.  He gave me my CT scan results.  They showed a thickening of the colon wall in the cecum.  What does that mean exactly? Can this cause pain? (I have had RLQ pain for months) He said something about terminal iliac disease?  Or Crohn's? He wants to do another test of the small bowel.  He has already done the upper GI and small bowel series.  He said this test will show him more.  I can't recall the name of it. He said it is similar to endoscopy and they use two kinds of contrast.  Any clues as to what that might be? And if you know...could you explain the procedure? Thanks.
Dear DM,
Thickening of the cecum on CT scan may be related to an inflammatory process or may not mean anything. If you look at Doug's response to your post, he is probably correct in suggesting that the test your doctor may be recommending is a small bowel enteroclysis (dedicated small bowel series). In this test a tube is introduced into the small intestine and air and contrast is placed into this tube. This gives better definition to the lining of the small intestine and can provided clearer images of the terminal ileum (last portion of the small intestine; often involved in Crohn's disease). On the other hand, another test that may be helpful in defining the cecum would be a colonoscopy. In this test a tube with a light and video camera is introduced into the rectum and advanced throughout the large intestine. In a majority of cases the terminal ileum can also be intubated. Biopsies (tissue samples) taken from this area may help diagnose an inflammatory process if present. Furthermore, with a colonoscopy one can directly visualize the colonic mucosa (lining). I hope you find this information helpful.

This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you want to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: CT scan, thickening of cecum, evaluation

A related discussion, ulcer and thickening of cecum was started.