Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Questions about fructose intolerant

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Questions about fructose intolerant

I was recently diagnosed with being fructose intolerant after about a year and a half of having major stomach pains, diarrhea and nausea.  I am 25-years-old and still want to be able to go out and have fun with my friends.  Is there anything that you can drink while having this condition?  I have looked on the Internet and there are so many sites with foods you can't eat, which outweigh what you can, but I want to know some things I can eat and some alcoholic beverages that I can have.  Thanks for your help!
Normally, treatment of fructose intolerance includes elimination of fructose and sucrose from the diet.  This requires referral to a dietitian to help with the diet you can and cannot tolerate.

Here is more information on the dietary modification:
http://www.food-info.net/uk/intol/hfi.htm

Regarding alcohol (i.e. ethanol).  It is suggested that this be minimized, as it can cause more problems in those who are fructose intolerant.

These questions should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_