Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Questions about seton placement for fistula

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Please, if anyone has undergone seton placement for fistula repair please post.  I'd like to correspond with someone who's been through this procedure.  Thanks.
Hello - I had the seton placement surgery for a fistula back in August of 2000.  It is also called the "rubberband" procedure.  The purpose of the procedure is to place a rubberband down there, not sure exactly how they do it.  But the purpose of the procedure is for the rubberband to slowly cut through the muscle without causing a person to become incontinent.  The procedure itself took about 15 minutes.  You are put out for them to do this.  You are sent home a couple hours later.  You will feel like you need to live in the bathtub for a few days and will be told to get a tube of Nupercanal ointment.  This will help with the pain.  Once a week you will go to your surgeon's office (hopefully a colon/rectal specialist) and they will tighten the rubberband.  I had to go back for 5 tightenings of the rubberband.  I'm not going to lie to you, when they do this it hurts like hell.  But it does get rid of the fistula which don't really want down there anyway.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me.  Best of luck.  ***@****
A related discussion, to DooleysMum was started.
A related discussion, Anal fistulectomy and seton placement was started.
A related discussion, Seton Placement was started.