Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Questions on Stent Removal
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Questions on Stent Removal

I am a heavyset female in her mid-30s. After a severe bout of pancreatitis in  February of 2006, I had a laparoscopic removal of my gallbladder, with no complications.  A stent was put in place. Due to complications with my insurance, I was not able to go to all of my followup visits. (My surgeon was kind enough to see me on followup without pay.)

This morning, however, I noticed what appears to be a deep purple bruise over the site where my gallbladder once was.  Truthfully, it only occurred to me when I saw it that I had never had the stent removed. Apart from the insurance problems, I had completely forgot about it!

Have you ever heard of a stent being in place for this long? I've already made an appointment with the gastroenterologist who put it in place (preparing to pay cash this time) but he can't see me until the 20th. Is this something to be extremely worried about?