Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Questions on Stent Removal

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Questions on Stent Removal

I am a heavyset female in her mid-30s. After a severe bout of pancreatitis in  February of 2006, I had a laparoscopic removal of my gallbladder, with no complications.  A stent was put in place. Due to complications with my insurance, I was not able to go to all of my followup visits. (My surgeon was kind enough to see me on followup without pay.)

This morning, however, I noticed what appears to be a deep purple bruise over the site where my gallbladder once was.  Truthfully, it only occurred to me when I saw it that I had never had the stent removed. Apart from the insurance problems, I had completely forgot about it!

Have you ever heard of a stent being in place for this long? I've already made an appointment with the gastroenterologist who put it in place (preparing to pay cash this time) but he can't see me until the 20th. Is this something to be extremely worried about?
Depending on the situation, the time the stent stays in place would vary.  I cannot comment in your particular case without reviewing the chart.  

However, there are other causes for the bruise - such as bleeding.  Imaging the area should be done with an ultrasound or CT scan to exclude a bleed.  

I agree with the appointment with the GI physician.  If pain or fever develops, or the bruise worsens, I would consider a visit to the ER.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
If you would like to come in and read about sphincter of oddi and pancreatitis you can find the site here http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pancreatitis_sphincterofoddi/