Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
RECTAL PAIN

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

RECTAL PAIN

31 yr.old female,no prior history of gastoenterological problems.in the last 3 months i have awakened to rectal pain that takes anywhere from 30 mins to 1 1/2 hrs to go away...no blood in stools...some constipation that feels like i have to "go" and then nothing happens....did have a baby 4 months ago  and started taking ibuprofen 800mg 3x daily (treatment 4 costachondritus)...could either one of these contribute to aforementioned problem...also has never happened when awake...only when i'm sleeping
Maybe you have hemoriods (common during pregnancy and after childbirth) but I can't imagine why they hurt when you're sleeping, usually they hurt during bowel movents. You should probably check with your doctor who can examine you for hemoriods or other conditions.
Did you have a natural childbirth or c-section?  Was it a long hard labor or pretty easy one?  The reason I ask is becuase I had 62 1/2 hours of induced labor and then they took him c-section with my oldest son and I can remember haveing horrible rectal discomfort for longtime afterwards.  But I have to agree with TerryLynn on I'm not sure why it would only hurt why you were sleeping, unless it has something to do with the relaxation of your bowel muscles or something.  I agress with her that you should definately be checked out.  First ask your ob/gyn if there was anything during the birth that happened or could have caused that sort of pain.  Is it internal or external.  Did you have an episiotomy?  If you did is the pain coming from that area?  These are  things that you have to ask and know in order to properly  get an idea of what to look for.  If your ob/gyn has no ideas got to your pcp and then from there if needed.  I'm sure it's proabbly something very simiple but you can never be too careful with these things either.  Good Luck and hope you feel better.
thanks for the comments & i will check w/my family physician
Did you find out anything about this?
I am having the same pains and not sure what is going on.  If I sit up for about 15 min the pain goes away.  I am a 30 year old male
I have these pains also. They wake me up at night, and they don't go away unless I take 6 ibuprophen. I lose about 1 to 2 hours of sleep each time it happens. I am going to have some tests done monday, but I won't get the results for about a week. I will try to post here again when I get the results.
I don't know if anyone will come down to this post again. I had some tests done, and they didn't find anything specific that would cause this. The doctor said he's heard of it though, and thinks it is pelvic floor spasms.