Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: 10+ years elevated liver enzymes

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: 10+ years elevated liver enzymes

Posted By dan on May 09, 1999 at 06:20:17
reduce your fat intake.Dont drink too much.Cut way down on the pills and swith to alieve or others.anything foriegn in the liver makes it work harder.if you take alot of pills thats bad.reducing your fat intake is a major part.if fat is the problem then get liver clensers at the vitamin store.i had a biopsy . it wont damage the liver but you dont need it,i wouldnt think.i have hep c. elevated enzymes is costant for me,higher than yours.even with this disease eating at my liver,it may take 40 years to develope damage.my virus is growing slow.some people get damage in only 5 years.anyway fat is a problem.check into that and you should be fine.stay on the doctors because they can be a pain.try different things and get tested often. see ya good luck.

Posted By Bonnie on May 17, 1999 at 20:22:06
I have had elevated liver enzymes for 2 years, but it was only the one, now all 3 are elevated. The readings are 55,70,72, I just got retested today and will get my resultes back tomorrow.  I do not drink, smoke are consume alot of caffeine, so what can possibly be my problem?  If they are still elevated tomorrow I will be sent to a specialist.

Posted By Lisa on June 28, 1999 at 15:36:48
I have had elevated liver enzymes (AST 68, ALT 105, GGT 175 and ALP 145) for over six months now.  I have had a battery of bloodwork to rule out Hep A,B,C, autoimmune hepatitis, Wilsons, PBC, etc.  Everything including a liver ultrasound has come back normal.  I was finally sent for a liver biopsy which turned up nothing!  There was no sign of inflammation or any other type of liver disease.  I am a 30 year old female that doesn't smoke or drink and am not overweight.  My specialist is stumped.  We are going to continue to monitor my enzymes monthly for the next six months and then make a decision whether or not to do an ERCP to check the bile ducts.  Anybody else have elevated liver enzymes with a normal liver biopsy?
By the way, the biopsy went really well and was virtually pain free.  It was no where near as bad as I thought it would be.
Lisa

Posted By Lorenzo on August 23, 1999 at 13:06:20
I too have elevated liver enzymes and a normal liver biopsy. What is an ERCP of the bile duct? Is this the only other test that can be done?
Any responses would be very much apprepiated.
Thanx,
Lorenzo

Posted By Carol on August 27, 1999 at 02:10:41

My enzymes are also elevated and I have been diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis.  I was diagnosed in 1989 by ERCP, which is an endoscopic test where dye is inserted into the bile ducts in order to see obstructions.  At that time my liver funtion tests were normal, but I was having upper right quadrant pain, so my gastroenterologist did an ERCP and discovered that my bile ducts were obstructed by scarring and calcifications.  My liver enzymes did not become elevated until 1994. Since then, I have had a procedure similar to angioplasty 3 times to open the bile ducts.  My worst problem with this disease is the fatigue and the itching.  I have not had a liver biopsy, but it has been mentioned.  Since it is an invasive diagnostic test, I believe it probably would not be performed until my liver enzymes are greatly increased.  Currently, I am taking Actigall which is helping to keep the enzyme counts down.  

Posted By jane on September 29, 1999 at 12:02:40
I am a 38 yr old female - during a regular physical I was dx with elevated liver enz's - can anyone give me the normal range of liver enz's???  I also was dx'd with very high cholesterol which with lipator has drastically come down - the liver enz's also fell from 73 to 32 - I had an ultasound and a cat scan which showed nothing and other wise I felt fine - now my brother who is 41 is also suffering from the exact same two problems - he was dx'd with hep b in 1991 - at that time his liver enz's were "off the chart" both of us need to find out what is the normal limit - thanks for any help I can get -----

Follow Ups: