Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: 8 weeks pregnant with Gastritis

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: 8 weeks pregnant with Gastritis

Posted By HFHSM.D.-ym on July 20, 1998 at 17:47:46:

In Reply to: 8 weeks pregnant with Gastritis posted by Kristin on July 17, 1998 at 23:55:12:

I'm a 31-year-old woman who has been diagnosed with Gastritis several times since college. Usually the gastritis attacks last about 2-3 days and clear up on their own, without medical intervention. The worst attack I ever had was with my first pregnancy, when I was sick for weeks, was unable to eat, and lost 10 pounds during my 1st trimester.
Now I'm 8 weeks pregnant and gastritis has struck again. I am experiencing upper abdominal pain, a feeling of fullness/bloating yet hunger at the same time, my upper abdomen and throat are very sensitive to the touch (the slightest pressure will make me gag), I've been vomiting and have again begun to lose weight.
What course of treatment can I take while pregnant? Last time I was prescribed Pepcid, but I hesitate to over-medicate myself out of fear for the safety of the fetus. Also, how can I know if it's caused by h.pylori bacteria, and if it were, would that change the treatment?
Thank you to any one who can help.
Dear Kristin,
Famotidine (Pepcid) belongs to the class of medications called histamine receptor (H2) blockers. They inhibit acid secretion in
the stomach. If famotidine worked for you during your last pregnancy you should be aware that recently published studies show
that ranitidine (Zantac) is safe during pregnancy in a dose of 150 mg taken twice daily. Obviously it is best, if possible, to
minimize the use of any medicine during pregnancy, but if your symptoms are particularly troublesome you could try ranitidine.
Gastritis can be caused by Helicobacter pylori infection. It is easy to diagnose the presence of infection by obtaining a blood
test for the Helicobacter pylori IgG antibody. If the bacterium is present, eradication usually requires treatment with several
antibiotics, acid suppression and the possible addition of Pepto-bismol depending upon the medical regimen used. Good luck
to you.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or
consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an
appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: gastritis, ranitidine, helicobacter pylori

______

_____