Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Alcohol Liver Dz. questions??

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Alcohol Liver Dz. questions??

Posted By Jack on June 09, 1999 at 15:07:53
I used to be a heavy drinker several years ago, a few years of anywhere from 4 to 12 drinks per day. The last 5 or 6 years have been more like several beers twice a week, ususally on weekends or special occasions, but consumption has decreased drastically. January of this year I quit drinking completely and have not touched a drop since. During the past four months I have been experiencing occasional right upper quadrant discomfort, alternating with periods of itching from head to toe. The pain usually is mild and lasts two to three days. The itching lasts anywhere from 1.5 to 4 weeks. Then there is no itching for about 1.5 to 2 weeks before it returns. I have not had jaundice. I've had no other symptoms except an occasional short spell of diarrhea, independent of the pain and itching. My questions are as follows: 1) With the absence of jaundice, is it still likely that my itching (pruritis?) is due to a liver problem? Does pruritis usually occur without the presence of jaundice? I have no skin rashes or other apparent skin problems. 2) Is the absence of some of the more serious liver dz. sysmptoms (GI bleeding, Nausea/Vomiting, constant diarrhea, fatigue, mental dysfunction etc.) a positive sign? If I abstain completely from alcohol, is this problem likely to get worse or stabilize? Is it possible that I have only Alcoholic Hepatitis and not Cirrhosis? If so, would it be normal for these symptoms to last 4 or 5 months? 3) Lastly, is there anything that I can do to relieve the pruritis? Any over the counter or herbal/food supplement remedies? I have not been to a doctor due to insurance issues but would like some qualified opinion. Please HELP! This is worrying me to death!

Posted By Jack on June 15, 1999 at 17:18:33
Is anyone going to comment on this? Doctors or anyone with similar questions or personal insight?  I'm still out here wondering!  Please respond!

Posted By KATY on June 16, 1999 at 15:58:30
Hi Jack - I am waiting for an answer to your questions also, as my story is very similar to yours.  I am 34, and was a 6-9/day beer drinker for most of 13 years. I, too, had episodes of itching sans yellow eyes, mostly in the last days of my beer career.

I have quit for about a year now (hardest thing I've ever done - you?)  and I still have pain in the upper right quadrant, low tolerance for fatty foods and sugar, nausea if I eat such foods, abdominal bloating and the discomfort that provides, and am still highly sensitive to medications I used to tolerate quite well (mostly antibiotics).  Ultrasound and liver function tests show a happy liver, but I have read that these can be deceptive.
Anyway, I could talk for hours about this, but I wanted to recommend a few books I feel are helpful.  The "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" is a wealth of information, and has good information on cirrhosis and other liver diseases.  Also, tho it seems written for third graders, try "The Liver Cleansing Diet" book for great nutritional tips on keeping your liver well.  
I have found that Milk Thistle, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Dandelion and a good multi-vitamin to be very useful, especially in those early days of sobriety when I felt so bad.  Also drinking the juice of cabbage, beets and carrots 3X/day(second hardest thing I've ever done :). The internet has some very good independent articles on these supplements and their uses, and I would recommend a lot of reading about these issues on those sleepless nights when you're scared silly, but watch the sources. (inability to sleep through the night is also cited as signs of liver damage).
Sorry this is so long - I know it's hard to talk about with people who don't understand.  I was with my mom as she died from cirrhosis and liver cancer, and I have a lot of respect for the liver now - take care, Katy
PS-you can e-mail me if you wish - ***@****

Follow Ups:

Re: Alcohol Liver Dz. questions?? cjames 6/17/1999
(2)

Alcohol Liver Dz. questions?? BRIDGET 7/22/1999
(1)

Re: Alcohol Liver Dz. questions?? Randy Reist 8/24/1999
(0)