Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Alcohol Liver Dz. questions??

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Alcohol Liver Dz. questions??

Posted By Jack on June 09, 1999 at 15:07:53
I used to be a heavy drinker several years ago, a few years of anywhere from 4 to 12 drinks per day. The last 5 or 6 years have been more like several beers twice a week, ususally on weekends or special occasions, but consumption has decreased drastically. January of this year I quit drinking completely and have not touched a drop since. During the past four months I have been experiencing occasional right upper quadrant discomfort, alternating with periods of itching from head to toe. The pain usually is mild and lasts two to three days. The itching lasts anywhere from 1.5 to 4 weeks. Then there is no itching for about 1.5 to 2 weeks before it returns. I have not had jaundice. I've had no other symptoms except an occasional short spell of diarrhea, independent of the pain and itching. My questions are as follows: 1) With the absence of jaundice, is it still likely that my itching (pruritis?) is due to a liver problem? Does pruritis usually occur without the presence of jaundice? I have no skin rashes or other apparent skin problems. 2) Is the absence of some of the more serious liver dz. sysmptoms (GI bleeding, Nausea/Vomiting, constant diarrhea, fatigue, mental dysfunction etc.) a positive sign? If I abstain completely from alcohol, is this problem likely to get worse or stabilize? Is it possible that I have only Alcoholic Hepatitis and not Cirrhosis? If so, would it be normal for these symptoms to last 4 or 5 months? 3) Lastly, is there anything that I can do to relieve the pruritis? Any over the counter or herbal/food supplement remedies? I have not been to a doctor due to insurance issues but would like some qualified opinion. Please HELP! This is worrying me to death!

Posted By john on June 21, 1999 at 08:10:12
Jack,
You should have your gall bladder examined, and your liver checked by an ultrasound scan.  You may find you have fatty liver and thick bile.  These can both cause liver enzymes to be raised above normal limits.  Also have your alkaline phosphates checked.  If you are serious about quitting your alcool habit, it will probably take a couple of years for the liver to return to its normal state.  You may want to have a liver bioposy at some point in the future (I would wait a year) if symptoms persist in spite of your quitting drinking.  But check first for fatty liver and gall bladder function.
Best of luck
John

Follow Ups: