Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Arrhythmia and GERD
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Arrhythmia and GERD

Posted By Mary on September 21, 1998 at 18:09:35:

In Reply to: Re: Arrhythmia and GERD posted by Patricia on September 18, 1998 at 11:26:44:

I am a 32 year old female and was diagnosed with GERD about 2 years ago.  My physician has rotated me back and forth on Prilosec and Zantac.  I can go weeks at a time with no occurrences of GERD and then I can suddenly have several weeks with GERD.  Recently, during my last epidsode of reflux, I have noticed that I have irregular heartbeats.  My heart seems to skip beats and then make up for it by beating an extra beat.  This usually occurs right after I eat.  I have no history of heart problems, nor does my family have a history of heart disease.  Other than GERD, I am healthy.  I have read similiar problems from others on your Forum and I wondered if there is any literature on this issue.  This has been an unusually bad bout of GERD and that is when the irregular beats began.  Any ideas?
Thanks
JSP  
I was very glad to see your message. I too have GERD... have had it for years. When I have episodes of reflux, I too get skipped heart beats and they are very annoying and worrysome. I am very interested in seeing how many other peaople have this experience. I worry alot because a year ago I underwent angioplasty with stent palcement, so any chest pain or skipped heart beat makes me think it's my heart again. I am very glad you wrote.
Patricia