Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Blood and mucus in stools

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Blood and mucus in stools

Posted By Jane on June 08, 1999 at 11:27:28
For about the last 18 months I have noticed bright red blood and sometimes mucus on or at the end of my stools.  I suffer from trapped wind quite often and this blood/mucus usually occurs when I visit the bathroom to try and release the wind.  I recently went into hospital and saw a consultant who performed what I presume was a sigmoidoscopy.  He said that my problem was being caused by a couple of internal piles, he injected them with something and said that I shouldn't have any more problems.
That was about 3 weeks ago, and recently my problem has started again.
Is it possible that the consultant may have missed something?  I am 21 years old, have no family history of any bowel disorders, have not lost any weight recently and don't generally experience any kind of abdominal discomfort apart from occasional trapped wind as I've mentioned.  I'm quite concerned that it might be something a bit more serious such as colon cancer.

Posted By Karen on June 19, 1999 at 10:47:30
I have had exactly the same prob for the past year.  I should imagine that a sigmoidoscopy along with an examination from a a consultant would pick up on anything sinister.  At first I couldn't that the blood/mucus was coming from piles but after examination and research it seems quite possible.  Keep psted with any developments.

Follow Ups:

Blood and mucus in stools Di 10/13/1999
(0)

Blood and mucus in stools Jane 6/21/1999
(4)

Re: Blood and mucus in stools Nat 7/03/1999
(3)

Blood and mucus in stools Judy 10/02/1999
(0)

Blood and mucus in stools Bennie 7/28/1999
(1)

Re: Blood and mucus in stools Mell 8/21/1999
(0)