Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Blood and mucus in stools

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Blood and mucus in stools

Posted By Jane on June 08, 1999 at 11:27:28
For about the last 18 months I have noticed bright red blood and sometimes mucus on or at the end of my stools.  I suffer from trapped wind quite often and this blood/mucus usually occurs when I visit the bathroom to try and release the wind.  I recently went into hospital and saw a consultant who performed what I presume was a sigmoidoscopy.  He said that my problem was being caused by a couple of internal piles, he injected them with something and said that I shouldn't have any more problems.
That was about 3 weeks ago, and recently my problem has started again.
Is it possible that the consultant may have missed something?  I am 21 years old, have no family history of any bowel disorders, have not lost any weight recently and don't generally experience any kind of abdominal discomfort apart from occasional trapped wind as I've mentioned.  I'm quite concerned that it might be something a bit more serious such as colon cancer.

Posted By JO-HELP!!! SO WORRIED TOO. on June 29, 1999 at 05:15:12
Symptons same as mine.  I'm totally sick with worry and am trying to pluck up the courage to see a doctor.  
Can blood and mucus mean piles, i've heard of blood being a symtpn of it but never mucus.
Please, Please can someone reply back.

Follow Ups:

Blood and mucus in stools Jane 8/23/1999
(0)

Blood and mucus in stools JO AGAIN 8/03/1999
(2)

Re: Blood and mucus in stools Crystal 9/17/1999
(1)

Blood and mucus in stools cora 9/19/1999
(0)