Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Blood and mucus in stools

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Blood and mucus in stools

Posted By Jane on June 08, 1999 at 11:27:28
For about the last 18 months I have noticed bright red blood and sometimes mucus on or at the end of my stools.  I suffer from trapped wind quite often and this blood/mucus usually occurs when I visit the bathroom to try and release the wind.  I recently went into hospital and saw a consultant who performed what I presume was a sigmoidoscopy.  He said that my problem was being caused by a couple of internal piles, he injected them with something and said that I shouldn't have any more problems.
That was about 3 weeks ago, and recently my problem has started again.
Is it possible that the consultant may have missed something?  I am 21 years old, have no family history of any bowel disorders, have not lost any weight recently and don't generally experience any kind of abdominal discomfort apart from occasional trapped wind as I've mentioned.  I'm quite concerned that it might be something a bit more serious such as colon cancer.

Posted By Joanna - Jane are you back yet? on July 22, 1999 at 09:07:31
Jane
Just wondering whether you saw your doc,  very interested in what he had to say!
Joanna

Posted By Cat on July 22, 1999 at 14:21:13
Jane, sorry about the continuing problems.  I too had mucus and a little blood.  However, I also had painful bloating, gas, and pretty constant watery stools.  These caused excessive wiping which caused the'roids, which led to the bleeding. Source cause...Crohn's. the onset of this disease tends to be in the 20-30 year old range, symptoms like you discussed.  it might be worth a check.
It's amazing how problems all hang togther.  Be very wary of Dr. or advice which treats each symptom as a single isolated problem to be solved.  When dealing with gastro-intestinal problems, many symptoms are the cause or result of other problems.  
Has your Dr. ruled out, through repeated checks, different types of ameobic invaders? (not just one time, these little bugs are tough to catch)  You don't have to go camping and drink the water.  They can turn up on fruits and vegetables which have been sprayed with contaminated water.  The mucus, gas and pain are sypmtoms.  Diarrhea is most common symptom, but any kind of disgestive difficulty is not out of the question with ameobic dysentary.  
Be cautious of the type of fiber, or adding more fiber in your diet.  These products and foods can themselves be a cause of very painful bloating and gas.
Raw vegetables can cause painful gas, try eating lightly steamed or cooked products.  You break down the vegetable fibers to more manageable components and still get many of fiber's benefits.  Forcing gas is like forcing stools and can lead to muscle tears, 'roids and perhaps bleeding.  Bright red blood is fresh blood.  Have you tried alternate techniques to help with gas pain?  Lying down, relaxation techniques, muscle relaxants?
Whatever happens, never be ashamed of discussing the ugly, embarrashing truth, especially with others in the same predicament.  We all have bowels and I don't care how picture perfect anyone's life looks, their bowels do move.  Have you ever heard of someone building a house with no bathroom? There is nothing that other digestive disorder sufferers have not talked about in amazingly graphic detail.  Anyone who can't cope with that, well, that is their problem.  Always feel free to talk to others in these kinds of forums and ESPECIALLY your Dr. in a candid and descriptive manner.  The more info you give, the more feedback and possibly help you can get.
Hang in there and let me know what the outcome is for you, best of luck,  CAT

Posted By Barbara on August 02, 1999 at 13:42:09
Same symptons.  My doctor only did a digital examination with his finger what would he have been looking for.

Follow Ups:

Blood and mucus in stools Rachel 9/18/1999
(9)

Re: Blood and mucus in stools Jane 9/21/1999
(8)

Blood and mucus in stools TJ 9/22/1999
(7)

Re: Blood and mucus in stools Jane 9/24/1999
(6)

Blood and mucus in stools sandi 10/13/1999
(4)

Re: Blood and mucus in stools CIndy 10/29/1999
(1)

Blood and mucus in stools david 11/12/1999
(0)

Re: Blood and mucus in stools Joshua 10/18/1999
(1)

Blood and mucus in stools paula 11/08/1999
(0)

Blood and mucus in stools TJ 10/10/1999
(0)