Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Blood and mucus in stools

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Blood and mucus in stools

Posted By Jane on June 08, 1999 at 11:27:28
For about the last 18 months I have noticed bright red blood and sometimes mucus on or at the end of my stools.  I suffer from trapped wind quite often and this blood/mucus usually occurs when I visit the bathroom to try and release the wind.  I recently went into hospital and saw a consultant who performed what I presume was a sigmoidoscopy.  He said that my problem was being caused by a couple of internal piles, he injected them with something and said that I shouldn't have any more problems.
That was about 3 weeks ago, and recently my problem has started again.
Is it possible that the consultant may have missed something?  I am 21 years old, have no family history of any bowel disorders, have not lost any weight recently and don't generally experience any kind of abdominal discomfort apart from occasional trapped wind as I've mentioned.  I'm quite concerned that it might be something a bit more serious such as colon cancer.

Posted By Joanna - Jane are you back yet? on July 22, 1999 at 09:07:31
Jane
Just wondering whether you saw your doc,  very interested in what he had to say!
Joanna

Posted By Cat on July 22, 1999 at 14:21:13
Jane, sorry about the continuing problems.  I too had mucus and a little blood.  However, I also had painful bloating, gas, and pretty constant watery stools.  These caused excessive wiping which caused the'roids, which led to the bleeding. Source cause...Crohn's. the onset of this disease tends to be in the 20-30 year old range, symptoms like you discussed.  it might be worth a check.
It's amazing how problems all hang togther.  Be very wary of Dr. or advice which treats each symptom as a single isolated problem to be solved.  When dealing with gastro-intestinal problems, many symptoms are the cause or result of other problems.  
Has your Dr. ruled out, through repeated checks, different types of ameobic invaders? (not just one time, these little bugs are tough to catch)  You don't have to go camping and drink the water.  They can turn up on fruits and vegetables which have been sprayed with contaminated water.  The mucus, gas and pain are sypmtoms.  Diarrhea is most common symptom, but any kind of disgestive difficulty is not out of the question with ameobic dysentary.  
Be cautious of the type of fiber, or adding more fiber in your diet.  These products and foods can themselves be a cause of very painful bloating and gas.
Raw vegetables can cause painful gas, try eating lightly steamed or cooked products.  You break down the vegetable fibers to more manageable components and still get many of fiber's benefits.  Forcing gas is like forcing stools and can lead to muscle tears, 'roids and perhaps bleeding.  Bright red blood is fresh blood.  Have you tried alternate techniques to help with gas pain?  Lying down, relaxation techniques, muscle relaxants?
Whatever happens, never be ashamed of discussing the ugly, embarrashing truth, especially with others in the same predicament.  We all have bowels and I don't care how picture perfect anyone's life looks, their bowels do move.  Have you ever heard of someone building a house with no bathroom? There is nothing that other digestive disorder sufferers have not talked about in amazingly graphic detail.  Anyone who can't cope with that, well, that is their problem.  Always feel free to talk to others in these kinds of forums and ESPECIALLY your Dr. in a candid and descriptive manner.  The more info you give, the more feedback and possibly help you can get.
Hang in there and let me know what the outcome is for you, best of luck,  CAT

Posted By Barbara on August 02, 1999 at 13:42:09
Same symptons.  My doctor only did a digital examination with his finger what would he have been looking for.

Posted By Rachel on September 18, 1999 at 15:02:53
I am just using the internet for the first time and I am so glad I looked this up!  I have been having all the same symptoms and have been hesitant to go to the Dr. for fear it's nothing more than diarrhea.  I'm uninsured and I don't want to run up unnecessary med expenses.  Should I be concerned with this?  Is there treatment?

Posted By Jane on September 21, 1999 at 08:04:07
I saw the same consultant last Friday who performed the originally sigmoidoscopy.  I told him that I was still having problems and explained about the mucus (although recently I haven't had much blood), and he said that because this has been an ongoing problem for quite some time (close to 3 years)he is reluctant to perform a colonoscopy as he doesn't think it is a bowel problem.  Because I haven't had any further symptoms since I last saw him (four months ago), he doesn't think that my problem is too serious, although he did perform another sigmoidoscopy, this time the piles had gone and he said that it's just one of those things.  He advised me to just see how things go (keep a check on my weight, appetite etc) and if anything further happens to go back and see him again.

Posted By TJ on September 22, 1999 at 23:35:06
Hi jayne I glad your fealing better thats realy no way to live I know the fealing allways looking when you go to the bathroom. My respond to what you wrote is that they dont know why polops grow and from what i have ben told some of them are not that big and can burn themseves out and not get to the point that mine got to, but i would keep in mind about that option. I dont know of what point your bleading got to but mine was so bad that i was afraid to caugh or sneeze and forget about it if i had to pass gas the blood would just come out that's why i had no other choice but to go in so quick and get checked out
please keep me up dated , and if i can help in any way  TJ

Posted By Jane on September 24, 1999 at 04:30:44
Hey TJ,
Thanks for your comments.  The last couple of months, the bleeding really hasn't been that bad (a small bit once or twice every couple of weeks), it's just been more the problem of the mucus which does happen quite a bit.  Anyway, I'm just going to keep an eye on things and make sure it doesn't get worse.
Jane.

Posted By sandi on October 13, 1999 at 23:50:03
I am so glad I found this site. For the past 3 days, I have had mucus and blood in my stool. It started with a clump of mucus just falling into the toilet after urinating. It had a tinge of blood in it.  Then I began wiping greenish/bloody mucus when I went to the bathroom.  My stools are covered with blood and mucus at the ends.  After passing stool - which is normal consistency - No diarreah (diarrhea) or constipation, the mucus stops for a few hours.  The mucous mixed with red blood drips into the toilet even when I urinate. I saw my regular physican and he couldn't see any piles or anything in the rectum.  Help!

Posted By CIndy on October 29, 1999 at 09:41:52
What causes the mucus? Does anyone know for sure? How serious is it if you have mucus on top on every stool...all over it?  also blood in and out of stool, but only twice in a week. Just started doing this last week.

Posted By david on November 12, 1999 at 19:50:41
hello, I have had these symptoms you have discussed as well, but I do not see blood so much as mucus (ranging from orange to brown in color). I figured at first it was just internal hemorrhoids but it has worsened and the mucus has seemed to thicken. As of late I have had a prolonged pain in my stomach. Did any of your doctors explain why this mucus is associated with the hemmorrhoids. I am afraid to go to the bathroom because I do'nt know what I'll se next

Follow Ups:

A related discussion, please help me find an answer was started.