Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Chronic Constipation

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Chronic Constipation

Posted By June on March 10, 1999 at 04:43:36:

In Reply to: Re: Chronic Constipation posted by shelly  on February 25, 1999 at 14:36:16:

Dear Shelly,
It is not an easy choice. Some may think so, but they're not living it. What I can tell you is that if your surgeaon is excellant than seriously consider having the operation. I used the pros and cons method... but the bottom line came down to "did I want to live the rest of my life in this much pain". What is the amount of improvement to the quality of life, do the doctors think they can improve it significantly? Is the improvement worth it to you? For me, I was willing to take a 10% improvement. It is diferent for each of us. Being scared is normal. Living life in pain is not. Love yourself enough to take the time to consider your options. If you're not ready to take that step now, make sure the doctors understand that you want the door kept open for the future so that you don't have to go through a lenghty process should you decide to have the surgery. I certainly empathize with you. Take care of yourself. Good luck ~ June