Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Chronic bouts of abdominal distension

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Posted By Lori Ann on June 22, 1999 at 18:24:05
I am a 32yr.old female who has been having this problem for 1.5 years, it has progressively been getting worse. My abdomen fills up with gas so badly that I am unable to pass the gas and am unable to bend over. What I eat does not seem to cause it, I can eat the same thing day to day and have this problem one day and not the next.  I have had two pregnancies and relate this to being 7 months pregnant. I do not have blood in my stool but do have mucous. I have always had what I considered to be IBS throughout my life.  I have bouts of constipation and bouts of cramping and diarehha. Even if I have a bowel movement during the distension it will not deflate my stomach. I have lower abdominal pain during the distension because of all the trapped gas. It's  almost like a valve closes and stays that way sometimes for a better portion of a week. I have allergies which I have been receiving injections for the past 2 years for. So I was on prolonged allergy medication. I was on the nasal steroid sprays for quite a while, wondering if that could have caused anything. I appreciate any input, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in two weeks. I also have had bouts of arthritis inflammation in my hands and feet. Blood tests showed a high
sed rate so my primary care doc thinks possibly I have an
inflammatory bowel disease.Just wondering if anyone can relate to this and provide me with any answers. Thanks for any input.

Posted By TIFFANY on June 24, 1999 at 09:33:58
I HAVE THIS PROBLEM ALSO-LAST THURSDAY NIGHT I WENT TO THE ER BECAUSE OF ABDOMEN PAIN.  THEY SAID EITHER AN OVARIAN CYST OR COLON TROUBLE.  THE DOC SAID IT COULDN'T BE COLON SINCE I'M NOT 50.  I AM ONLY 29.  THIS RUNS BIG TIMEIN MY FAMILY THOUGH.  MY STOMACH FILLS WITH GAS AND CAN'T ESCAPE.  IT HURTS TO MOVE AND MAKES ME LOOK LIKE I AM 5 MONTHS PREGNANT.  I HAVE CONSTIPATION THEN REGULAR BM'S SOMETIMES IT GOES THE OPPOSITE TO DIAREAH.  THERE HAS BEEN TIMES THERE IS MUCUOS AND BLOOD SOMETIMES JUST BLOOD WHEN I'M NOT CONSTIPATED.  WHAT SHALL I DO?

Follow Ups:

Chronic bouts of abdominal distension Rachel 6/25/1999
(7)

Re: Chronic bouts of abdominal distension Dawn Haygood 6/29/1999
(6)

Chronic bouts of abdominal distension Gina S 7/02/1999
(4)

Re: Chronic bouts of abdominal distension P. J. 7/07/1999
(3)

Chronic bouts of abdominal distension Jim Noble 8/03/1999
(2)

Re: Chronic bouts of abdominal distension pkw 8/06/1999
(1)

Chronic bouts of abdominal distension Jennifer MacDonald 8/15/1999
(0)

Chronic bouts of abdominal distension Cathy W 7/01/1999
(0)