Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Chronic bouts of abdominal distension

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Posted By Lori Ann on June 22, 1999 at 18:24:05
I am a 32yr.old female who has been having this problem for 1.5 years, it has progressively been getting worse. My abdomen fills up with gas so badly that I am unable to pass the gas and am unable to bend over. What I eat does not seem to cause it, I can eat the same thing day to day and have this problem one day and not the next.  I have had two pregnancies and relate this to being 7 months pregnant. I do not have blood in my stool but do have mucous. I have always had what I considered to be IBS throughout my life.  I have bouts of constipation and bouts of cramping and diarehha. Even if I have a bowel movement during the distension it will not deflate my stomach. I have lower abdominal pain during the distension because of all the trapped gas. It's  almost like a valve closes and stays that way sometimes for a better portion of a week. I have allergies which I have been receiving injections for the past 2 years for. So I was on prolonged allergy medication. I was on the nasal steroid sprays for quite a while, wondering if that could have caused anything. I appreciate any input, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in two weeks. I also have had bouts of arthritis inflammation in my hands and feet. Blood tests showed a high
sed rate so my primary care doc thinks possibly I have an
inflammatory bowel disease.Just wondering if anyone can relate to this and provide me with any answers. Thanks for any input.

Posted By TIFFANY on June 24, 1999 at 09:33:58
I HAVE THIS PROBLEM ALSO-LAST THURSDAY NIGHT I WENT TO THE ER BECAUSE OF ABDOMEN PAIN.  THEY SAID EITHER AN OVARIAN CYST OR COLON TROUBLE.  THE DOC SAID IT COULDN'T BE COLON SINCE I'M NOT 50.  I AM ONLY 29.  THIS RUNS BIG TIMEIN MY FAMILY THOUGH.  MY STOMACH FILLS WITH GAS AND CAN'T ESCAPE.  IT HURTS TO MOVE AND MAKES ME LOOK LIKE I AM 5 MONTHS PREGNANT.  I HAVE CONSTIPATION THEN REGULAR BM'S SOMETIMES IT GOES THE OPPOSITE TO DIAREAH.  THERE HAS BEEN TIMES THERE IS MUCUOS AND BLOOD SOMETIMES JUST BLOOD WHEN I'M NOT CONSTIPATED.  WHAT SHALL I DO?

Posted By Rachel on June 25, 1999 at 23:58:34

I have off and on in my life had this same problem.  It has been back for a few weeks now.  I look pregnant, in terrible pain and nothing seems to cure it.  I just had my complete physical a month or so ago and came through it with flying colors.
I have no answers for you, I only wanted to let you know, I feel the discomfort you are going through [ as I currently am suffering]

Posted By Dawn Haygood on June 29, 1999 at 16:48:13
I also have the same problems as Tiffany and Lori. My stomach bloats over a small thing eaten, even a plum.  It has been the last 6 years with me. I have had problems with contispation for most of all of my adult life.  When I was a child my mother forced me to take laxitives because she thought that that would cure all dieases; it only hurt my system. I only noticed that the bloating stoped when I ate irregularly. Almost like the diets made to trick your system; for example eat normal meals for 3 days, and the next 3 days eat very little portions. I plan on seeing a doctor also, and going back to eating 3 days on and then 3 days off with small portions. I have no blood in my stools, and no diarehha, and the eating of wheat and brans do seem to make it worst. The doctors have to have some help for us, I am 43 and I am tired of hiding my stomach because I look pregnant.
Thanks keep in touch

Posted By Gina S on July 02, 1999 at 16:39:04
My husband has suffered for the past year or so with cyclic gas, bloating, rotten egg belching and peel-the-paint-off-the-wall diarrehea x 60 trips per day.  He has been diagnosed with GERD and has been taking 30mg x 2 daily doses of Prevacid with minimal success.  He is scheduled for Nissen Fundoplication in a week.  His surgeon told him that his cyclic illness was caused by his hiatal hernia.  His stomach has slipped up into his diaphram to the point that he has 2 stomachs.  The food gets trapped in the second stomach and begins to rot.  Eventually, it drops down into his first stomach and goes into his digestive tract.  Ultimately, he is food poisoned by the rotted food.  I don't know if any of you have regular hearburn or GERD, but it is a possibility that if you do, this could be your problem.

Posted By P. J. on July 07, 1999 at 00:05:01
This helps me, although it doesn't prevent the problem:  My husband feels for tender spots on my body--he knows right where to find them now.  He will press and rub the spot (this is very, very painful) until I burp.  He continues until the pain diminishes and I stop burping and then moves on to the next spot.  My stomach used to bloat until I vomited, but this works (I don't understand it).  My "spots" are on the top of my feet, near the Achilles tendon, in the calf, in the forearm, between the thumb and first finger, and near the spine, just above the bra strap. If you find something else that works or prevents the problem, please post.

Follow Ups:

Chronic bouts of abdominal distension Jim Noble 8/03/1999
(2)

Re: Chronic bouts of abdominal distension pkw 8/06/1999
(1)

Chronic bouts of abdominal distension Jennifer MacDonald 8/15/1999
(0)