Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Esophageal Spasms
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Re: Esophageal Spasms

Posted By HFHSM.D.-rf on October 05, 1998 at 08:33:24:

In Reply to: Esophageal Spasms posted by Tina on October 04, 1998 at 01:24:22:

I was told by my doctor that I am having esophageal spasms. I have this pain in my chest - arms and jaw that is so bad. I have labored breathing and this radiant heat from my chest, that can be felt two feet above me. During this time my face is flush. They never last longer than 60 seconds. I have never had heart burn.I do not have problems swallowing but from time to time feel a slight disconfort in my throat. My doctor gave me prevacid 30mg for 60 days and said that would cure it. I have been off of the medication for two week and began to have attaacks again. What do you think? I need the prevacid again to keep these attacks at bay.  Thank you for any help or advice you might have.
_______
Dear Tina,
Esophageal spasm is a difficult problem to treat effectively.  If Prevacid works for you, then you should continue this medication.  Alternative treatments are smooth muscle relaxants and calcium channel blockers.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: esophageal spasm