Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Hiatus Hernia Symptoms Or Are They?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: Hiatus Hernia Symptoms Or Are They?

Posted By Leslie on March 24, 1999 at 13:43:36:

In Reply to: Hiatus Hernia Symptoms Or Are They? posted by Leslie on March 24, 1999 at 12:21:44:

I am a 39 year old female who has had a hiatus hernia for the past 14 years.  Up until the past year my hernia has not bothered me at all.  I was experiencing pain when ingesting food, so my doctor did some tests for gallstones.  I had both an upper and lower GI series done and both were normal except that the upper GI indicated I had a slipping hiatus hernia.  I have had blood tests, ultrasounds as well as a hepatobiliary Study done which also showed normal.  What I find extremely distressing are my symptoms.  My sleep is constantly interrupted with unbelievable heartburn.  It has gotten to the point that I have literally burnt my esophogus as well as my throat and inside my mouth (pieces of whitish skin are visible (similar to blisters) and I can feel them hanging down my throat as well.  After ingestion of either food or drink, I experience almost immediate indigestion, pain, get light headed and dizzy along with an instant headache and I can only do shallow breathing as I cannot fill the bottom of my
lungs with air.  I also throw up every morning.  Instead of loosing weight, I am gaining weight I feel bloated all over.  As well, I do not have a cold, but over the past few months have developed a bronchitus (bronchitis) sounding cough.  I have severe pain on the right side of my chest as well as moderate pain on the left side of my chest just below the diaphragm.  When this occurs, I also experience rapid heart beat.  My doctor said it was probably a panic attack.  I have been prescribed various acid inhibitors, prevacid, etc, but none of them work. My doctor has decided that my problem is strictly my hernia.  Do you have any ideas re what can stop or even control my symptoms.  I am actually getting to the point of being afraid to eat or drink.  Thanking you in advance for all of your efforts.  Sincerely,  Leslie.  

I forgot to mention that I have difficulty swallowing and that both food and drink seem to get "tied up" when going down my throat.