Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: ON 2ND TREATMENT FOR H.PYLORI !!!

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: ON 2ND TREATMENT FOR H.PYLORI !!!

Posted By HFHSM.D.-ym on August 05, 1998 at 17:41:38:

In Reply to: ON 2ND TREATMENT FOR H.PYLORI !!! posted by DEB on August 04, 1998 at 22:26:46:

I HAD AN ENDOSCOPY W/BIOPSIES THAT CAME BACK POSITIVE FOR H.PLYORI,GASTRITIS,AND ESOPHAGITIS.  FIRST TWO WEEK TREATMENT CONSISTED OF AMOXICILLIN,FLAGYL, BISMUTH AND PREVACID.  IT HELPED ALOT BUT STILL IN PAIN.  NOW I'M SUPPOSED TO START A 2ND 2 WEEK TREATMENT OF TETRACYCLINE,AMOXICILLIN,BISMUTH AND PRILOCEC.  THE PHARMACIST SAID I SHOULDN'T TAKE TETRACYCLINE AND AMOXICILLIN TOGETHER, IT WOULD CAUSE A LOT OF SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS BUT AFTER DISCUSSING IT WITH A DIFFERENT DOCTOR, SAID IT WAS OK.  I'M CONCERNED ABOUT MIXING THE TWO AND ALSO CONCERNED THAT THE DOCTOR DIDN'T FEEL THE FIRST TREATMENT DID THE TRICK.  ANY ADVICE YOU COULD GIVE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!
Dear Deb,
Prior to starting another course of treatment for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection I would want to know if the first regimen actually worked. If you took all of your medicines as prescribed for the two week period there is a good chance that you already got rid of the bacteria. There is a test called the carbon urea breath test that is now available at many institutions. This test is very accurate at detecting eradication failures. It is, however most accurate, if performed at least 6-8 weeks after treatment is completed. You also need to be off antibiotics, bismuth and lansoprazole (Prevacid) or omeperazole (Prilosec) prior to the test. Another more invasive way to check for Helicobacter pylori eradication would be to repeat the endoscopy with biopsy 6-8 weeks after treatment. You must also keep in mind that your pain may not totally go away with Helicobacter pylori eradication. You may require chronic maintenance therapy for esophagitis and gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is also important to adhere to anti-reflux measures. Your pain may not necessarily be related to the Helicobacter pylori infection. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: lansoprazole (Prevacid), Helicobacter pylori infection, ulcer, gastric cancer, lymphoma, nonulcer dyspepsia