Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Pain In The Ribs

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Pain In The Ribs

Posted By HFHSM.D.-rf on April 20, 1999 at 07:13:30
Topic Area: Reflux Esophagitis
I used to have a pain in the upper right hand quadrant of my chest after eating.  Now it has
become a constant pain in the muscle or tissue right by the Ribs just below the Xyphoid process.
My wife tends to think that it is just indigetion, but I think that it might be the indication
of a hernia of some sorts.

Dear Johnson,
Pain related to eating is unlikely to be the result of a hernia.  People with esophageal reflux will complain of
burning pains in the pit of the stomach and/or behind the breastbone.  Fatty liver is usually not associated with abdominal or chest pain.  
Recent reports have suggested that delayed gastric emptying can be associated with vague abdominal pains.
THis information is presented for educational purposes only.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: chest pain, esophageal reflux
0.1

Posted By Kathleen Gates on May 20, 1999 at 22:03:29
I also have severe pain in the ribs on the right hand side. My doctor had scheduled so many ultra-sounds and HIDA scans  and x-rays.
He found that is wasn't muscular. I had a gallbladder attack 2 years ago. They never took my gallbladder out and the pains are still there and just as severe.
I have no idea what else to try.
Please help.

Posted By Ruby  on May 21, 1999 at 23:39:24
I have pain in my ribs on the right side, which goes up my  back.  I also have abdominal swelling.  

Posted By Dan on June 11, 1999 at 14:57:36
Have pain just under my rib cage on right side.  Sometimes radiates out from under my breastbone, extending to my back.  Pain is intense.  Have had my diseased gall bladder removed.  Have taken antibiotics for ulcers.  Have taken Prilosec and Prevacid.  Going back for second EGD on 6/15.  Any ideas?  What about Hiatal Hernia?  Dr.'s seem to ignore my questions about that.

Follow Ups:

Re: Pain In The Ribs Andrea Coker 8/10/1999
(0)