Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Post surgery gall bladder diarreha

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: Post surgery gall bladder diarreha

Posted By Julia Chang on May 08, 1999 at 22:11:29
:
Topic Area: Diarrhea
Can someone pls help?
I am a 31 yr old female. On Aug.7.98 I had my gall bladder completely removed after a major attack.  I had just had a baby in June. I was told I could eat/drink anything i wanted from now on. Well, from day one after the surgery, I began to suffer from terrible bouts of diarreah (diarrhea) (crampy stomach, watery stools, gurgly noises etc). When this persisted, and I called the doctor, I was told to try Metamucil, and to allow at least 6 mths for my body to adjust. It would get so bad (up to 8 times a day) that i started to chug Pepto Bismol (this gives me relief). But now i have been told that Pepto will eat the lining of my stomach eventually. I have bouts of diarreha like this about every 2 weeks (sometimes more) lasting 1-1/2 days. Does anyone else suffer from this and what can you do? Will the body eventually adjust? I have made an appt. to see the doctor. Thank you so much to anyone who can help with ANY suggestions.   MJ

With reference to MJ's problem posted above, I have the following comments:
Diarrhea after gallbladder surgery is usually caused by inadquate bile flow. Bile is produced in the liver and mostly stored in the gallbladder. Whenever bile is needed in the intestine, the gallbladder would contract and squirt out the bile in much larger quantity than the limited small flow from the liver.  Once the gallbladder is removed, the bile supply is much reduced and results in poor digestion which may cause diarrhea or constipation. Among those people who have gallbladder removed, it is common to alternate between diarrhea and constipation and normal bowel movement is rare.  
Bile flow is not only important for digestion in the intestine, it is also important for lubricating the intestinal wall. In order to normalize the bowel movements, bile flow should be stimulated.  When the bile flows better, digestion would be improved and the bowel movements may become more normal. A Chinese herb, Coptis, is known to be excellent in stimulating the bile flow.  Most people who used it found that the natural stool color (from bile color)darkens the next day right away because of more bile flow and their bowel movements become more normal in a few weeks.
More details may be found in:
http://www.sensiblehealth.com/gallbladder.html
Julia Chang

Posted By BS on May 28, 1999 at 13:34:56
I am a 46 year old active and otherwise healthy male.I had my gallblader (gallbladder) removed in Dec. 1998. I have suffered from extreme heartburn and diarrhea ever since. My doctor has put me on Lomotil for the diarrhea and Pepcid, Prilosec, and Axid for the heartburn. Axid twice daily works very good for the heartburn and I can eat anything. The other two did not work as well for me. The diarrhea usually hits me within an hour after eating my first meal of the day, then I do not have any more problems until the next day. Is there anything that anyone else has tried that has worked for them? This diarrhea is getting to be a pain in  the butt.

Follow Ups: