Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: Rectal bleeding
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Re: Rectal bleeding

Posted By HFHSM.D.-ym on February 07, 1999 at 17:04:08:

In Reply to: Rectal bleeding posted by robin on February 06, 1999 at 23:22:06:

For the past month I have had rectal bleeding.  About 4 years ago, I had an adenoma removed from my colon.  I am currently 28 weeks pregnant as well.  Tonight there was so much blood on my stool and floating in the toilet afterwards.  Does this sound like pregnancy related hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), or does it sound more serious?  The blood was bright red.  Thanks.

Dear Robin,
Bright red rectal bleeding usually indicates that the source is in the anorectal area. Pregnant women often have hemorrhoids and bleeding. A fissure may also cause bright red blood per rectum. You may want to try conservative measures such as increasing the fiber in your diet, sitz baths and medications over the counter to relieve hemorrhoidal pain, swelling and bleeding. Other less common causes include ulcerative proctitis, polyps or tumors. Given your history of adenoma, it is probably about time for a post-polypectomy surveillance colonoscopy. This can be done after you recover from the delivery of your baby. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: rectal bleeding