Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: abdominal pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: abdominal pain

Posted By chris on June 07, 1999 at 20:38:28
I've been having abdominal pain for 2 years, still undiagnosed.
It is located in the lower right quadrant, about the location of the appendix and seems to go through and out the lower right buttock and also over to the right hip. It is worse lying down, a little better sitting up, and much better walking around, although it is always there to some degree.  There is very little tenderness.  I have this pain everyday and in addition I get attacks of severe pain in the same area during the night. I find if I change position during one of these nighttime attacks the acute pain is alleviated, although the area is sore for awhile.  A full bladder also seems to cause a lot of pain in this same area. As soon as I get up and walk around the pain is much better. I never get an acute attack like this during the day, or on the left side of my abdomen. There are no digestive symptoms since I cut back on the increase in fiber in my diet. This has had no effect on the pain in the right quadrant. In Mar 98 I had a laparoscopy in which an adhesion tying the small bowel to the abdominal wall was released.My gyn chose to leave the adhesions around the sigmoid colon alone. I had complete relief for 3 months when the right lower quadrant pain returned.  A general surgeon repeated the lap and found the first adhesion had not reoccurred so he worked on the adhesions around the sigmoid colon, which he found  was pulled over to the right and stuck on the right pelvic wall, which he released. I had relief for about 4 months when the same right lower quadrant pain returned. It was at this time the severe attacks during the night became more regular. What would cause acute abdominal pain like this and be relieved by a change in position?
    I have been to a GI doctor (colonoscopy negative, no Crohns), a gyn (normal exam April 99) colorectal surgeon (doesn't feel it is my colon and suggested the bones/joints as a possible source of the pain), plus the two laps done by a gyn and a general surgeon.  My pcp is stumped and at first suggested a pelvic/abdominal CT Scan but then changed his mind and ordered a lumbar-sacral MRI, thinking that it might be a problem with my spine. However he says that my complaints do not correlate with physical findings. In the past when a physician has told me this it has always led to no diagnosis.      
     What are the chances of a spinal problem causing right lower abdominal pain with no back pain until very recently?  Would a CT Scan be a better choice? Why would I get such complete relief from both laps if the adhesions were not reponsible for the pain? One doctor says that surgery has all kinds of effects on the body  and perhaps the relief was a side effect of the surgery and not a result of the procedure.  I'm sorry this post is long but this has been going on for 2 years and we are all frustrated. Thank you so much for your opinion.

Posted By Ann Davies on August 04, 1999 at 19:42:22
I don't have "pain" but I do have real soreness on my right side and it's definitely worse when I am sitting at my desk, at the computer - it's like I'm pressing on a sore spot and yet I can't pinpoint where it is.  I sleep fine, have no problem when walking around but I'm not comfortable sitting down in anything with a waistband. Rather limits what I can wear for work! My ribs on the right side are sore and feel like they are sticking out and I am also uncomfortable when my bladder is full. Just had some blood and urine tests done - all normal - but I am tired of just feeling uncomfortable all the time. This discomfort has been around for about 3 years now and I think it is made worse by stress.
Anyway it's good to know other people are feeling the same way!  

Follow Ups: