Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: alcohol abuse and hemangiona

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: alcohol abuse and hemangiona

Subject: Re: alcohol abuse and hemangiona

Forum: The Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases Forum

Six weeks ago my sister had surgery to remove two hemangiomas on the liver. One very small and one the size of a baseball per her surgeon. During the surgery and the next 6 hours she received a total of 12 units of blood and during the course of her recovery developed pneumonia, had an allergic reaction to antibiotics, blood and fluid developed under the lung area an had to be draiined. She is finally on her way to recovery. She is an admitted alcoholic, quit for some time but started drinking again before the surgery. With all she went through I thought after the surgery she would stop, but she hasn't. What effects will alcohol abuse have on her recovery, and would it have any long term effects on her liver. I know what alcohol does to the liver, but what are the concerns with her medical history. I want to be able to give her (and her drinking friends) medical facts so maybe they will understand. I can't seem to get it through their heads. Thanks.
Dear Donna,
Cirrhosis of the liver is one of the more serious complications secondary to chronic alcohol abuse. It may lead to complications such as increasing abdominal girth secondary to fluid build up in the abdomen (called ascites), bleeding from swollen veins in the gastrointestinal tract (called varices), infection of the fluid in the abdomen (called spontaneous bacterial peritonitis), mental confusion (called hepatic encephalopathy) and increased risk for the development of liver cancer (called hepatocellular carcinoma). If patients with alcoholic cirrhosis abstain from all alcohol they have an improved survival compared to patients who continue to abuse alcohol. It is also well known that patients with alcoholic cirrhosis do not tolerate general anesthesia as well as others and have a higher risk of complications after surgery. There is no data that supports a relationship between alcohol abuse, alcoholic cirrhosis and the development of hemangiomas of the liver. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or
consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an
appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: alcoholic cirrhosis

Follow Ups: