Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: bloating, swelling,burping, heartburn etc...

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Posted By Kim on April 06, 1999 at 09:37:16:

In Reply to: bloating, swelling,burping, heartburn etc... posted by Trina on March 29, 1999 at 17:24:03:

: hi I am a 31 yr old male. that has never had a stomach disorder in my life. a few months ago I noticed I started having a little burning in my stomach with more acid then usual. after starting on antibiotics ( for abcessed tooth ) I woke up on the third day with tightness in my chest, and difficulty breathing,  after getting off the antibiotics I was still having the symptoms. this the lead to a sort pressure/pain just under my breast bone, with a lot of upset stomach burping alot, or feeling as if I have to burp. swelling in my abdomin (abdomen), and bloating, even after drinking a glass of water I feel full. actually I just feel full all the time. I had a blood test, and checked negitive for H pyloir, the doc bood test said my liver and panceras looked fine. I have not lost my appetite, but find it dufficult to eat. my energy level seems to be about normal. does any know what this could be. please help. Zachary

I am the 45 year old man and come to think of it I started getting this problem after taking an antibiotic, (Cipro) is this the same one you were on? Please respond back if you can, my post is ....Bob-March 27,1999 (Heartburn, Lump in Throat, Chest Pain) I am completely at a loss for whats wrong and so are the doctors. I was never sick in my life before this. Thank You and if I could help you in any way I`ll post something back.   Bob

After taking antibiotics, sometimes the intestinal flora balance is upset (remember, antibiotics kill off the good bacteria as well as the bad).  Without the "good" bacteria in your intestines, many foods you eat may well be "fermenting" in your tummy, causing a buildup of gas and pressure.  I suggest you go to your local health food store and get a HIGH QUALITY  set of "probiotics", these are the good intestinal bacteria such as acidophillus, lactobacillus, FOS, etc which need to be re-cultured in your system.  For a week or two, while taking these supplement, also eat smaller (but more frequent) meals, so you don't have an excess build-up of food in your digestive tract.  Hope this helps, KIM