Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: dialated bowel?
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: dialated bowel?

Posted By Kristen on June 09, 1999 at 11:06:09
2 months ago I had a laperoscopy for what my gynocologist thought might be endometriosis.  I had been having severe stomach pain and was very bloated.  It seems there was no endometriosis but the doctor found that I had several adhesions on my large intestine and he said my bowel was dialated. I am a 34 year old female. I am not overwiehgt and up until the past couple years have been in genral good health except for a tonsil and adnoidectomy at age 26 and several episodes of neuro retinitis between 10 and 13 years ago.
I have never had abdominal surgey before.  For the past two years I have been seeing a rheumatologist for what appears to be some auto-immune problem that has several lupus like symptoms, but labwork has only turned up one positive ANA of a low titer.
A GI series was suggested after my laperoscopy but I have not had it done yet.  My pain has subsided tremendously but I still have days where I am uncomfortable and even almost prickly type pain in my stomach.  Also Before the laperoscopy  my stomach was very tender in that I wanted nothing to be touching it.  I still have some of that.
I know you cannot dx the problem but I am curious as to what kinds of things could be causing the dialated bowel and the adhesions (which were removed).  And is a dialated bowel the same thing as inflamed intestines?
thanks
My impression from the rheumatologist was that it could be related to all the other problems but she couldn't really say without me having seen a gastro.