Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: does gastroparesis ever go away?

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: does gastroparesis ever go away?

Posted By Jamie on June 29, 1999 at 09:51:31
I developed gastroparesis after a week and a half of extreme abdominal pain and a week of fever (of 103 degrees). The fever and pain went away, but I soon discovered that I could hardly eat anything without regurgitating it. Now, whenever I eat I am full after two bites, I am in agony for hours afterwards, and I have terrible acid reflux. This has been going on for 5 months. Propulsid and Reglan helped a little but I had to discontinue both because of their intolerable side effects. I don't have diabetes or anything else that the doctors can find that would explain my condition. They say I have to 'live with it'. I simply cannot. I've already lost 25 lbs and will continue to lose more if this continues. This is so debilitating and I am housebound. Please help. I don't really know what I should do next. I keep hoping that this will go away on its own.... any chance of that? Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.

Posted By HVMA GASTRO MD-FWR on July 01, 1999 at 09:15:55
Dear Jamie:
Thank you for your question regarding gastroparesis.  It would appear from your question that you have already gone through a work-up for this condition.  Usually an UGI series and/or upper endoscopy is undertaken to exclude a mechanical cause for poor gastric emptying.  Some clinicians also suggest a gastric emptying study.  In the absence of mechanical obstruction the cause of gastroparesis can be diabetes, scleroderma,thyroid disease,kidney disease,eating disorder, prior surgery/radiation, and post viral causes.  You have been given the diagnosis of post viral gastroparesis.  This can and usually does slowly improve with time.  The use of prokinetic agents such as Cisapride and Reglan have provided patients with benefit, however, higher doses are sometimes necessary.  The ingestion of more frequent smaller meals does help maintain caloric intake in most patients.  Thanks again for your question.  Sincerely, FWR

Follow Ups: