Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: elevated liver enzymes
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: elevated liver enzymes

Posted By HFHSM.D.-rf on July 27, 1998 at 21:52:46:

In Reply to: elevated liver enzymes posted by donna k on July 20, 1998 at 17:23:49:

I had a blood test recently, results were 66 SGOT and high SPGT. Upon another blood test, my SGOT was 154 and higher SPGT.  My triglycerides were 300, which I know is high.  All other results appeared to be normal, i.e., cholesterol, sugar, etc.  I did not eat for @12 hours prior to the latter blood test, nor did I drink alcohol for a week prior to the recent blood test. (I drink mostly on the weekends, mild to moderately. . .I have been doing this for approximately 2-3 years.)  I feel fine.  I do not experience aches, pains, nausea, or any other physical ailments.  From an ultrasound, cirrohsis has, tentatively, been ruled out pending a further medical evaluation.  There was no sign of cancer, my gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, and kidneys all appear normal.  Hepatitis has been ruled out from the most recent blood screening.  What are the other possibilities?  Heart attacks and gallbladder problems "run in the family."  
___

Dear Donna K,
The elevations of SGPT and SGOT (and I assume that your other liver tests are normal) suggests damage to the liver cells.  You are correct in writing that viral hepatitis and alcohol are two very common causes of these elevations.  There are, however, a number of other causes.  Autoimmune liver disease, medication-induced liver danage, exposure to environmental or industrial hepatotoxins, and metabolic disease (e.g. Wilson's disease[excessive copper deposition in the liver] or hemochromatosis [excessive iron deposition]) can produce your liver test abnormalities.  It is also possible that your problem is hepatic steatosis (fatty liver) that can be idiopathic, or associated with diabetes or obesity.
You indicate that viral hepatitis has been excluded.  Depending on your age, associated medical conditions, other symptoms and family history of illness, your physician can decide which additional tests are needed.  Sometimes, a liver biopsy is required for a definitive diagnosis.
This information is presented for educational purposes only and should not be considered a formal medical evaluation.  Always consult your personal physician for specific medical questions.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: hepatitis, liver tests