Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: lower back pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: lower back pain

Posted By HFHSM.D.-ym on October 28, 1998 at 15:40:10:

In Reply to: lower back pain posted by Kathy on October 22, 1998 at 21:48:41:

I am having increasing lower back pain.  When it first started it was relieved by having a bowel movement.  But in the last few months its has gotten worse.  I have constantly changing bowel movements that range from constipated to dirreha.  Usually from one day to the next.  The back pain has reached a point where I can hardly bend over at times and standing at the sink to wash the dishes is almost impossible.  The only clothes I can ware must have elestic in the waste otherwise I get sick to my stomach, develope a lot of gas, and dirreha.  I had a hysterectomy almost 2 years ago (which helped for a while), but it getting worse again.  The doctor who did the surgery said he was real sorry but he had done everything he could for me.  I guess I need some idea what this could be and what type of doctor I should be looking for.   Also I have not lost any weight, if anything I keep slowly gaining.   Thank you for any help you can give me.
Dear Kathy,
Some patients with irritable bowel syndrome experience pain in the lower back thar is relieved with a bowel movement. It may be secondary to distention of the colon (large intestine) when it is filled with gas and stool. Irritable bowel syndrome refers to a condition where abdominal pain and/or altered bowel movements (diarrhea, constipation or both) are present for at least 3-6 months. Weight loss, blood in the stool, fever or chills are generally not part of the symptom complex. Up to 50% of patients with the irritable bowel syndrome will complain of mucus discharge in the stool. Many foods have been associated with exacerbations of irritable bowel syndrome. It is important to keep a food diary to see if you can identify any particular foods that bring on or worsen your symptoms. Many patients with the irritable bowel syndrome have improvement in their symptoms by increasing the fiber in their diet. An easy way to do that is to try a high fiber cereal such as FIBER ONE cereal by General Mills or try psyllium (Metamucil). Adhesions (scar tissue) after abdominal operations can also produce some of the symptoms that you are having. It would also be important as part of your management to exclude other gastrointestinal disorders. Therefore, you may benefit from further gastroenterological evaluation and testing. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you wish to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: back pain, irritable bowel syndrome