Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: sigmoid colon adhesions/colonoscopy

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: sigmoid colon adhesions/colonoscopy

Posted By chris on May 07, 1999 at 00:30:07
In Jan 98 I had a colonoscopy done as part of a work up for abdominal pain. This was followed by a laparoscopy in Mar 98 at which time a small bowel adhesion causing a partial obstruction was removed but significant adhesions around the sigmoid colon were left. In Sept 98 I had to have another lap because of persistent symptoms.  When they removed the adhesions around the sigmoid colon they discovered that it was pulled over and stuck to the right pelvic wall. Wouldn't this have shown up on the colonoscopy? They did have to give me extra medication for the procedure because they said I was "letting them know" it was painful. (I don't remember the procedure at all)  Wouldn't they have had difficulty passing the scope if the colon went to the right side of my pelvis and they didn't know that?  Could this have been the cause of the pain I had during the procedure?  Thank you.

Posted By CATHY  on May 08, 1999 at 00:26:17
I am sorry to intrude but please see the posting below about ACID STOMACH from Cathy,
that was the most recent topic that fit even remotely my problem, but since the date was April, I felt that it may get over looked. Please forgive me, but Please help me.  Thank you

Posted By chris smith on May 08, 1999 at 23:53:24
Why did you post this in response to my question? I don't see how it is related at all.  

Posted By Cathy on May 09, 1999 at 00:18:00
I am so sorry.  You are right it does not relate to your question at all.  Please accept my apology.  I am feeling so bad and can never seem to pick the correct time to try to post in this column.  They are never accepting questions
when I am online, so I tried to get answers to my own health problems by posting to others and theat was not the right thing to do.  Again I am sorry.  Respectively.  

Posted By HFHSM.D.-ym on May 10, 1999 at 19:05:13
Dear Chris,
Adhesions are usually present on the outside of the colon and are not seen at colonoscopy. A laparoscopy can visualize adhesions since the laparoscopist can see the outside of the colon. On the other hand, the laparoscopist cannot see polyps inside the lumen of the colon. Colonoscopy is a better test to visualize the colonic lumen. However, during colonoscopy the endoscopist can suspect the presence of adhesions if a certain area is difficult to pass in a patient who has had prior abdominal surgery. A common location for this to occur is in the sigmoid colon and it can contribute to the pain experienced during the procedure.  On the other hand, there are patients who have never had abdominal surgery, who have a tortuous and redundant sigmoid colon where the endoscopist can encounter difficulty in this area.I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or
consultation. Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.
If you would like to be seen at our institution please call 1-800-653-6568, our Referring Physicians' Office and make an appointment to see Dr. Muszkat, one of our experts in Gastroenterology.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: adhesions, colonoscopy

Posted By chris on May 11, 1999 at 08:20:59
Thank you for your response to my question.  Would the fact that the sigmoid colon was pulled to the right and stuck on the pelvic wall make it difficult to pass the scope during the colonoscopy?  I would think it would if it turned to the opposite side of the body before it went the way it normally goes. Is this something you would detect or would the endoscopist just get a nonspecific impression that there was difficulty passing the scope. Also, If the sigmoid colon is still in this position (pulled all the way over to the right wall) is that something that would show up on a barium enema? Is this something I should worry about if I ever have another colonoscopy? I see a colo-rectal specialist in a few weeks and I plan to ask him these questions at the time.  Thank you so much for your time.  

Posted By HFHSM.D.-ym on May 11, 1999 at 11:53:30

Dear Chris,
You are absolutely correct. If the sigmoid colon is pulled over to the right side of the abdomen it may present a problem for the endoscopist. Again this is just an impression that the endoscopist might get as he passes the scope. A barium enema would be a better test to define the anatomic location and configuration of the colon. It does not necessarily mean that you would have too difficult a problem should you require a  colonoscopy in the future. In experienced hands and with good sedation this area may be passed. I hope you find this information helpful.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.
HFHSM.D.-ym
*Keywords: colonoscopy, adhesions

Follow Ups:

Re: sigmoid colon adhesions/colonoscopy This is a different ?.. Please answer if possible 5/11/1999
(3)

sigmoid colon adhesions/colonoscopy Debbie 5/23/1999
(2)

Re: sigmoid colon adhesions/colonoscopy Becky 6/26/1999
(0)

Re: sigmoid colon adhesions/colonoscopy cara 6/06/1999
(0)