Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Re: sphincter of oddi dysfunction

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Re: sphincter of oddi dysfunction

Posted By Kathy on June 07, 1999 at 03:22:06
: Topic Area: Digestive
Could you explain the procedure to relieve sphincter of oddi dysfunction pain.  We have been told there will be a cut in a specific area, with immediate results.  We were also told there could be complications from this procedure.  I would like to know what kind of complications there are.  Are they the normal complications associated with most surgeries?  Or are there more dangerous complications?  Thank you.

The procedure you describe is known as an ERCP with sphincterotomy (cutting the sphincter of Oddi).  ERCP is an endoscopic procedure which utilizes a side viewing endoscope that enables the endoscopist to access the bilary and pancreatic ducts.  The sphincterotome is a device consisting of a wire electrode in a plastic cannula.  After the cannula has been inserted into the sphincter, the wire is then elevated and electrocautery is used to cut the sphincter.  Complications resulting from sphincterotomy are well described and include perforation, bleeding, and pancreatitis.  Pancreatitis occurs in 5-10% of patients undergoing sphincterotomy with the vast majority of cases being only mild.  However, severe pancreatitis requiring prolonged hospitalization can occur in up to 1% of patients.  ERCP with sphincterotomy is the procedure of choice for patients with established sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your personal physician for diagnositic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
Sincerely,
I have just read these postings and have had alot of trouble in the past 2 yrs. I have had 6 ERCP'S and the first one did give me every complication  you could get but I survived!I also continued having narrowing of my bile duct and recently had major surgery to finally fix it. I'm now nearly painfree for the first time for 2 yrs so good luck for those out there with the same problems
FWR

Posted By Janet Davis on July 12, 1999 at 22:12:03

Last July I had my gall bladder removed and a hiaetal hernia repaired.  Since then I've had several episodes similar to a gall bladder attack.  My doctor sent me for a ERCP for sphincter of oddi dysfunction.  The ERCP was not completed because I had severe pain with the procedure and the doctors performing the test had to stop.  My doctor wants me to go back and let them put me completely to sleep to perform this test and cut and put a stent in if needed.  I haven't had an episode in three months.  I have been on medication and have watched what I am eating.  Does sphincter of oddi dysfunction come and go like this?  I'm not looking forward to having another ERCP even if I am completely out this time.  After the last one I had severe pain for about three or four days.  It was like constant gall bladder attacks.  Can sphincter of oddi dysfunction get better on it's on or will I have another attack when I least expect it.  I need more information on this ailment and perhaps some advice about going through another ERCP.  Can someone help me with this??  Thanks for any input!!!

Posted By steve on August 11, 1999 at 17:53:01

you sound like your in the same boat as me. i'm on my third ercp the second one they tried a botox injection but i still have the same upper right quadrant pain. they now want to do the spincterectomy. not looking foward to it as i too had a lot of pain for nearly two weeks following the last ercp and they say it only helps about 50-60% of the time.

Follow Ups: