Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Real bad stomach pain

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Real bad stomach pain

Could someone tell me what this might be?In the past 6 months or so,I have had realbad stomach pains. When I say stomach pains, I mean my actual stomach, not abdomen.  It starts as a stabbing pain, right  under my breast bone. I then get real bad diarhhea, then I start to vomit. My stomach burns and hurts.  I went to the doctor  for it when it first started happening. He thought that it was gastritis.  It wasfine for about 5 months and then it happened again.  Could someone tell me if this has ever happened to them? Thank you.
If your doctor, I presume a GP, thought it was gastritis, what did he recommend to relieve it?  If you aren't seeing a gastroenterology specialist, I would suggest you do so.  The location and accompanying symptoms, (diarrhea and nausia), in addition to stabbing, burning pains, could indicate a gallbladder or pancreas problem.  I think finding a good specialist would be a good start.  Have you been able to determine whether this pain is in any way triggered by what you eat or drink?
I have already had my gallbladder out.  But, the only other timethat   this happened was about the same time at night.  I had ate a hamburger that night. My DR.gave me some medicine to help clear out my stomach faster. That is all that he said.  It was fine for about 5 months or so.  What could be causing this in my pancreas?  What do you think that could be?  About a day or so after these episodes happen, I have gas real bad.  I thought that it might be a stopped up bile duct or something.
You could have sphincter of oddi dysfunction. SOD pain can come on suddenly and you would feel it just under the sturnum - it can radiate to the back either by spreading across the right side or boring directly into the back. SOD will often give you back pain when your sleeping. You might brush it off thinking you just slept wrong. It can either be brought on by eating or by having an empty stomach. If you did not have stones when your gallbladder was removed you are at higher risk. Look up Sphincter of oddi dysfunction or biliary dyskinesia and read about it. See if you fit the catagories. If it were your pancreas you would feel it on the left side or commonly across the rib cage.
Thank you.  I DID NOT have stones in my gallbladder when it was removed, just sludge. The symptoms are alot like mine.  I haven't looked up the latter one that you mentioned, though.  I am to see a gastroenterologist on the 20th.  So, maybe he will find the problem. If I have to go through another night like that, I think that I will die.  I have never felt so bad as those nights when it flares up.  Thank you. I will let you know.
After 7 months of severe nausea, vomiting & stomach pain my Husband has been diagnosed with Acute Intermittent Porphyria, a disease caused by abnormality in enzymes that produce heme.  Heme is the primary component of hemoglobin in red blood cells, is used to detoxify chemicals in the liver and other vital organs, and is used to carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the tissues in the body.  Prior to this diag., Husband was put through the wringer.  Numerous scopes, 1000 plus x-rays, CAT Scans, MRI's, (I lost count of the Hospital Admissions ), a cabinet full of useless medications), referrals to 2 other Dr.'s and many phone consultations with Doctors @ the Mayo Clini in MN., which is the Doctor that suggested the test for porphins.
We are scheduling a treatment @ University of Alabama @ Birmingham the first of the week.  A good site to check out  symptons..    http://members.tripod.com/~PorphBook/8.html....

Husband sickness hit like a virus -- went to ER because vomiting would not stop & blood was being thrown up along with severe abdominal pain.  Gall Bladder was removed thinking this was the culprit.  No such luck ..After three to five days of more hospitalization we were able to go home & live normally until the next attack which @ first was 3 weeks apart, now they hit about 8 hours after release from hospital & we go right back in.. At first we tried to ride out the attacks @ home which only lead to weakness & dehydration whick took longer to get over.  Each time we were in the hospital many blood test were sent off for every disease imaginable whick all came back negative or normal.  While in the Hospital, Husband eventually gets appetite  back on tract & is starving....Eats well ( every hour on the hour ) and then were back @ home for maybe 6 - 8 hrs and we're back to square one.  Don't want to bore you with tooooo many details, so if you have any questions I'll be happy to try to answer.  Hope you all find answers to your problems SOON !!
Wow, that kinda sounds just like me.  I guess that I will wait and see what the gastro doctor says Weds.  Mine starts out just feeling nauseated, then I get diarrhe, then I start throwing up.  I have bad pain right under my sternum, more to the right. But, it hurts and burns. I haven't ever felt anything like it before.  I went to the ER the first time that it happened. But, I couldn't the second time. (I couldn't get ahold of my mom to watch the kids while my hubby drove me). I felt like I was going to die.  What kind of treatment options will they give your usband. Let me know.Thank you.
Husband was referred to a Hematologist to administer a drug called Heme.  If I were in your shoes I'd mention this to my Dr. & maybe he will order the test to rule out the disease or to confirm.
Type "Porphyria" into one of the search engines, there are several sites that have a sympton check list.  I was very surprised @ the number of symptons Husband had.
This is a TREATABLE disease. Let me know if I can help you research this matter.
Sorry it posted 3 times - - computer is acting CRAZY!!
I am going through the same situation and am so lost and confused.  I have the stomach pains which start on my left upper abdomen and then can go to my right upper abdomen and go into my back.  They diagnosed me with pancreatitis, but said they weren't sure.  They have done a CT, US, MRI and the test where they put the camera down my stomach.  My specialist said the MRI showed abnormalities with my pancreas, but the camera thing was fine.  I can't hold food down and if I do I have to force it to stay down.  I burp a lot after I eat something.  Like I have excess gas.  I just don't understand, every one is telling me they just can't figure it out.  Any one that has had symptoms like this please tell me what they did for you.
Also my Lipayses have been extremely elevated at times.  They have been in the 200's at times.  I have lost over 15lbs since everything.