Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Rectal Pain and Pressure

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Rectal Pain and Pressure

Febuary 21st I noticed I was getting sore in my rectum when I would sit some times. I had  some bright blood earlier that month on my tp, but I have had a small hemroid for many years, so I did not think anything of it.But as the month went on I kept getting sore more and more.I went to my GI, who by the way has been seing me over the last 5 years for Acid Indegestion and IBS Symptoms. I had a Colonoscopy 2 1/2 years ago for pain in abs, came back normal, with a palyop that was sent to pathology, and was also normal. My GI Said at this visit that my pain was hemroids, and gave me some Cortizone cream...2 weeks later, i went back because I was not getting better. He said not to worry that my colonoscpy was negative 2 years ago, and he gave me supposatories this time And we schedualed a Flex Sigmoid for in his office. I seem to be getting worse , and when I called his office he was out of town, so I went to a surgeon. He did a Anoscope, and said he saw a few small Hemroids but did not think they could cause my pain, and to come back in 3 weeks if does not get better. I went back to my GI and had the Flex Sig done, and he said everything looked good , and he saw a few small Hemroids. I told him my pain was intolerable, and that we need to find out why I cant sit, for it is painful, and continues throught the day...I asked if maybe I have Levator syndrome, and he kind of shook his head, and said that was the same as IBS. Well I also asked if maybe I had endometrioses on my rectum, he said not possible... I have seen my OBGYN in between these visits and he is going to do a Laparoscopy 4-18-06 to see if I have any endo on my rectum, he says that if I am having spasms, that something has to be causing them and it could be endo. He does not see that it can be anything else...
I am at my wits end please help me......These are my symptoms
Am feel ok.....kind of
After I have a couple of bowel movements I am sore in my rectum and feel some burning sometimes, not like hemroid burn. then as the day goes by, i feel like I have to have a bowel movement and push but nothing happens and its painfull. I feel pressure in my rectum , when I sit its real painful, so I cant sit. I have a ache in my rectum all day, and some times I feel like there is something in my rectum. The pain never goes away, just varies through out the day, when I got to bed at night it seems to not be as bad, then it starts all over again in am. I take a stool softner and eat alot of fiber and water, so I m not constipated

Please help.....
Difficult to say without evaluation.  A negative colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy would make significant GI disease less likely.  

An anal fissure can cause some of the discomfort you are describing - however the surgeon should have considered this.  

If the pain continues, you can consider empirically treating an anal fissure - normally starting with a nitroglycerin ointment over the anal sphincter.  

Another surgical opinion or going to a colorectal specialist can be considered if the symptoms continue.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
HI there, believe it or not, I am having something similar. Mine started with a flare up of hemorrhoids, which I have had for over 20 years. But, now they seem to be under control and I am still having the rectal pain. I am seeing a GI doc this week for something unrelated and plan on asking him about it. From what I have read, rectal pain is fairly common and usually benign in nature. I suspect levator ani syndrome too. I took a muscle relaxant the other nite for a back problem and miraculously the rectal pain stopped. Hmmm...?

Am wondering if you have been under unusual stress lately that could cause the spasms? I have been and that seems to be when my symptoms began. I also notice it is worse when I am "keyed up". Please post if you get a answer to this one and I will do the same.

Hudson
I went for my Laparoscopy yesturday, and the surgeon found endo on my rectum and around the lower part of my uterus. He said that this is probably the cause of my rectal pain and pressure. I think he said it could also cause the Levator muscle spasms. He also said I have Pelvic adhesions and my Uterus was very inflamed. Doctor Kevin what is your opinion on Endo on the rectum, do you think it can cause the pain and pressure... I will see my GYN next week to discuss what we will do to solve this problem.
Just thought I would write back again after my doc app. I wrote earlier my OBGYN said I have ENDO on and around my rectum... He said this could be causing the spasms and pain...Has anyone heard of this...? I wrote back to Doc Kevin and have not heard a response...Please some one respond, I can't possibly be the only one who has pain when I sit in the rectum.....

PIB
Hey PIB, i think I am the only one here who has something similar and mine weirdly is slightly better this week. But, I totally understand the sensation you are talking about and find it annoying. To give you background on my pain, it started in February when I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. Gyne thought the cyst was sitting on the bowel and causing pressure. Well, the pressure from that was more "pelvic" in nature. But, the cyst caused constipation and the constipation caused hemorrhoids. I had surgery in March, and had the cyst removed. But, after surgery I was even more constipated and the hemorrhoids returned. I finally got that under control, but was left with the strange rectal pain.

If you find a definitive answer, please post it. I googled rectal pain, and I am sure we are not the only ones with it. There are lots of articles on it. The only reassuring thing, is most causes are benign, but the treatments are kind of "sketchy". As I said, I discovered by accident that muscle relaxants work for me. Also warm baths seem to help.

Have you found anything that eases your symptoms?

Hudson

PIB, if you are still out there, just wanted to let you know I saw my family doc today and her do another rectal exam after I described my pain to her. Apparently I have both external and internal hemorrhoids. She also did the test for occult blood in the stool, which was negative. She prescribed a prescription strength cream which I haven't picked up yet from the pharmacy as well as a muscle relaxant (flexeril). I'll let you know if I see any more improvement. Since you have not responded to any of my posts, if I don't see anything from you in the next day or so, I will assume you are no longer interested in this thread. Hope all is well.

Hudson
Hi Hudson,
I am sure happy for you that your doc found out what your problem was, I on the other hand have an app. with my OBGYN surgeon who did my Lap on Tuesday for next week on Monday....He says I have endo on my rectum and under my uterus and that it could be the problem of pain and spasms he thinks I am having. I am just so tired of having pain in my rectum, its put a stop on my life, I cant go anywhere because I cant sit , and I am not working right now either.... I am trying to keep a possitive mind and not let myself get depressed..I am tired of my doc thinking I am crazy....My gastrointerologist says all my test are neg, just some small hemroids and maybe some spasms, I went to a ssuregeon who did an anoscope, and he said he only saw small hemroids, nothing that could cause my bad pain in rectum...Finally my OBGYN said lets do the Laparoscopy and see if I have any endo, and that is what he found...I am taking Vicodin for pain, but I dont know why anyone just wont try and treat me for Levator Syrome, you know with some Muscle relaxers just to see if it works....I think when I go to my doc on minday, I am going to ask if we start narrowing this down by treatment, and then think of surgery for endo...You said you doc did a test for blood in your stool? did she do that in her office?  please let me know...Thanks for all your help, and I am still here just recovering from suregery....I will be watching for your response..

Thanks PIB
HI PIB, I don't really feel like I have an answer to my pain even though the doc reconfirmed the hemorrhoids. I still think mine feels like spasms in addition to the hemorrhoids. But, since it responded to the muscle relaxant when I took it the other nite, she was willing to give me a RX for more. I really think my ovarian cyst aggravated the muscle and now it is still tense or something?

Personally I think both yours and mine sound like levator syndrome. I think your idea of asking to try a muscle relaxant before having more surgery makes sense. It sure is much less invasive and the particular one the doc gave me (Flexeril) is supposedly not habit forming. It does make me tired, so I took only 1/2 tablet at nite. But, believe it or not, it relieved me of my pain for almost the entire day.

I can relate to the not being able to sit for long because that is when this pain really gets going isn't it? I am much better standing or walking.

At any rate, I'll be thinking of you. Please let me know how things are going for you and if I find this RX cream to work, I'll post again. I'd tell you the name of it, but I haven't picked it up from the pharmacy yet. They are out of it and have to order it. I may not have it until Monday. Do you believe it? lol.

Hudson
p.s. about the occult blood in the stool. Yes, she did this test in the office. It's just a stool sample mixed with a solution to see if it changes color. No color change= no blood.
Thanks for responding,
I dont think my doc has the correct diagnosis for me also, I think it a combination of things that end up causing these spasms and pain. I am anxious to try the Flexiril, I have heard that it works for the muscles that are tight. I read it on a Levator Syndrome web site for Treatment....I will let you know what happens after my doc app. on Monday....Take care..Oh and if you get that cream, let me know what it is...

Have a great week end.....

PIB
Hi PIB, i just went back to the pharmacy to inquire about the cream. They are going to try and reach my doc and get a substitute for it tomorrow. It seems they prescribed something not common? Anyway, I can't believe you read about Flexeril on a website for levator syndrome. I tried it completely by accident as it was initally prescribed for back spasms.

Keep in touch and let me know how it goes on Monday. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this and help each other. Glad I found you. If you ever want to e-mail me, my address is ***@**** :-)

Hudson
Hi PIB, you out there? How did the doctor go today?

Hudson
Well I went today to my OBGYN, he showed my husband and I the pictures of my Laparascopy he did last week. Showed Endo on and around my Uterus and Rectum, and also he said I have a Fibrus Tumor on my one overie. I was really concerned if we were dealing with Endo or something else. He assured me that my Bowels are are clear and that the Endo can cause the spasms and pain I am having in my rectum.

I chose to go the route of BC pills, and also ha gave me a scip for Flexeril and pain meds. He wants me to take the BC pill for a month or so along with the other meds and he said hopefully I should start feeliong better in a few weeks. He said the birth control pills surpress the estrogen and cause me to be like I am pregnant therefor the endo will be surpressed and I will be relieved of the rectal and pelvic pain...I hope...

He said there is no cure , and that last resort would be to have a Hysterectomy...I m not there yet..

I took the Flexeril when I got home, and it seemed to subside some of the pain but not all, he did thing the endo is causing the rectal spasms, but I do have some small hemriods that are flaring up right now, so you can imagine all the weird pain I have at one time. He said they are two different things goimg on with me . The endo and the Hemroids, they are not the same problem...

Well just wish me luck the BC pills work...I think the Flexeril will take some time to work...

How are you doing?  I am tired and going to  crash for the night. I will get back at you..

See ya  PIB
Hi PIB, well that's good you got some answers. The ovarian cyst can cause rectal pressure as well. I know this because this is how mine got started in January.

I am doing ok. Still treating the hemmorroids and taking the flexeril for the spasm feeling. It's weird as some days it is bad and others not so bad.

The cream the doc RX was called anamantle HC kit. I only used one dose of it and it made me much worse. I think I may have reacted to one of the ingredients. It is for the hemmorrhoids and I do better with PPH it think.

What did the doc tell you to do about the ovarian thing? Take the BC pills and hope it resolves?

Hudson
Hi everyone,

I just got through reading the posts and I think I may have a similar situation. For the past 6 months my periods have been clotty. I have also noticed an increase in sweating and hot sensations ( I guess hot flash) I have lately discover a bruiseon my inner thighs ( both thighs)  It is very close to the rectum and then down some on the thighs. Could this be endo too? I have been so worked up about it and worried. My muscles are tight too at times. I am scheduled to see a doctor Friday. I have a buzzing sensation in my uterus from time to time too. Let me know what you think.
Hi there, Do you mind me asking how old you are? Are you going thru peri-menopause? I am 50 and also having the hot flashes.

Let us know what you learn from the doc.

Hudson
Actually I am 31 and have had these for about a year or so. I try to bear with it the best I can, but it is hard to. My mind always goes to worst case scenerio anyway! LOL
Hi there, at 31 you are awfully young to be having hot flashes. It's good you have a doc appointment. Let us know what he has to say and try not to worry.

Hudson
Thanks!
Hi every One,

First of I am sorry to heard and read all of your said stories, unfortunately I am also going through same for last 3 month and still not able to find what is the root cause of my problem.

I am 28 y.o. mother of two, first baby was born normally in December 2000 and the second December 2005 normally. I had never taken birth control pills. After that till one month or so I had a normal bleeding and regular check-up for my stitches I got at the bottom of Virginia. I was feeling pain in one of my stitch, which is very close to my anal. I visited to GNY for the same they told me it will go and just ask me to sit in warm water. But is always remain there and now I got into big trouble.

After 40 or 50 days of delivery I had an intercourse with my husband in night the very next day I got pain started in my rectal, I was suspecting it is piles in start I started taking piles tablets, every one told me it is very common after pregnancy piles, haemorrhoids and fisher. Gradually my pain become so severe that I went to surgeon, on anoscope he told me I am having 3 very small haemorrhoids which is very common after delivery no need to worry and the fisher was heal up with suppository. Now fisher is gone, but I am having sever rectal pain, pressure and feel some thing heavy in that area, I cannot sit properly, I feel comfortable to sit on a hard object under me that
Hi there, I am so sorry you are having problems. I am still trying to get my rectal pain under control. It sounds like yours is similar to mine. I went for an exam and the doctor told me i had some internal and external hemorrhoids. But, the pain I am having in the rectum seems more severe. It really hurts, like a spasm and that is why I think it is levator syndrome. My doctor gave me a muscle relaxant, Flexeril, which i take at night and it makes it go away. But, the next day symptoms return. I am now trying a new cream called anamantle HC. It is an anestetic mixed with hydrocortisone. You could ask your doc for a RX and try it.If my symptoms don't get better I am going back to see my gastroenterologist about this. Please post again and let me know how you are.

Linda J
I've just finished reading thru this entire thread and I have tears rolling down my face because I know this pain. My life has been a living hell since March 2005. My doctor sent me for a colonoscopy in that month, and ever since then, I've been living with this mysterious and agonizing rectal pain.

At first I thought it might be the small internal hemmorhoids that they had found. But thru research and doctor's visits it is said they shouldn't cause the kind of pain I'm having.
I won't go on and on with my story, but I have felt so much frustration with my doctor because it seems he doesn't take me seriously.. doesn't believe how much pain I am in. Especially during my periods. He did throw some birth control pills at me, ones that stop your periods for a matter of a few months. Thinking it might be endometriosis. It has helped some. Now instead of screaming in agony, sitting on a heating pad for weeks on end with no sleep what so ever, I am only whimpering for 7 to ten days. But I just went back to my doctor today, and now after describing my darn symptoms for the upteenth time, he doesn't think it's endo. He wants to send me to some rectal specialist. (I could just scream. I'm so sick of the hemming and hawing, and nothing getting diagnosed.)

I dread having a bowel movement because of the lingering pain afterwards. But not going is even worse, so catch 22.  It seems my life revolves around the toilet, and wether or not I have had a bowel movement or not.
Hi, I am new here and coming from another thread here.

This past month I started having dull lower back pain.  Later, I started having sharp pain in my left ovary and the back pain moved into my side and across part of my front.

I just has an ultrasound and urine sample done.  The urine sample cambe back saying I has "signigicant blood" in my urine even tho I couln't see any.  Ultrasound is clear.

Gyn has to set up a colonoscopy and MRI yet.

He gave me anitbiotics which has helped the ovary painn, but not the dull back pain which is getting worse and spreading to the other side.

My BM have chnged drastically. I used to only go once a day--now I go 4 to five with much smaller, slimmer stools.  But event hough I go, I still always feel like I still hve to go.

Any ideas?  From comments my doc made, I think he is leaning toward germ cell cancer.

I can't believe other people are having this problem also!  Thought I must just be crazy.  My problems started with constipation then hemmorhoids, surgery for hemmorhoids, colonosocopy, nexium for esophagus ulcers, zelnorm for constipation.  Six weeks after surgery I had a violent episode of diarreha with blood in stool and   throwing up.  Since then I have excruciating pain, burning and pressure in my rectum and bladder after a bowel movement.  Went back to gastro dr.  he said can't be hemmorhoids, they have been removed.  He has ordered a stool culture for infection, ua and blood work.  I am post menopausal and have had my womb removed.  I've never had endo, but I still have my ovaries (or whats left of them)  I womder if I could have endo on my bowels or ovaries causing this unbearable pressure and pain?  My colonoscopy was normal no Polopys or inflamation (inflammation). Quess I'm wait the results of the tests.  anyone have any other ideas.  Thanks in advance
I am also having similar symptoms as the rest of you!!!I thought it was hemhorroids, cause i have internal ones, and was treated with suppositories..did not work..then my internist sent me to a rectal surgeon who did an exam and and scope thing and said i have very slight internal roids but i had this muscle spasm in my rectum!!!! he "massaged" it and said i may have to come back..i was a bit better until my next bowel movement and in terrible pain again!!! nothing makes me feel better...can not sit or stand...if looking for similarities, it sounds like we are all women!!! i am going to sit in my bathtub....there has to be a "cure" for this!!!
I honestly have written 3 pages worth of sypmtoms down for this mysterious reproductive/rectal disease I have aquired this past year and a half. Maybe if I shove this under one of my doctor's noses, they might freaken listen to me once and for all.

What galls me the most, is that this all started after having a colonoscopy done to me. I have NOT been right since then. If I could turn back time, I would have ignored the small amount of blood that came out of my *** after a bad case of diarrehea, instead of running to the doctor in a panic blubbering what's wrong with me?
And what really pisses me off is that every time I mention that my pain started after having this procedure done, it's dismissed.

I battle with this every day. It's like I'm fighting a war against my own body. If I'm not fighting the excruciating ***  pain that comes with my period, I'm fighting constipation. Or even when my bowels can move on thier own, and my stool is soft.. I can not manage to finish. It's like my rectum forgot how to do it's damn job. Most of the time I have to give myself an enema to finish a bowel movement. If I don't, the **** just sits in my rectum, causing intense pain by irritating my internal hemmerhoids.

This **** is so embarrasing. I go to work somtimes limping because my *** hurts so much that I can't walk right. And people ask me, "what did you do?" blah blah blah.. I mostly just say it's my period, it cripples me. But sometimes I'd just like to scream, "My fricken *** hurts OKay? It feels like someone shoving a wire brush up my rectum and ripping my whole *** out! Does that answer your question?"

And I am so tired of getting the run around. First it's Oh it's the hemmorhoids, then no it can't be that, it might be endometriosis... Now it's we don't have a clue.. let's send you to a specialist.. and here it is, two weeks later and I have not heard from my moronic doctor's office about any appointment with any so called specialist.
And I want to add, like Jet5L.. there is really nothing that helps. I used to take ibuprofen like candy before the hormone pills calmed the pain somewhat.. the doctor has given me vicoden, but on my worse days, it does not help much. A hot bath helps for only a few minutes. and the water has to be scalding, hot enough to turn your skin bright red. I can not sleep in my bed on the days when the pain is excruciating. I have to be in my easy chair, sitting on a heating pad, and only catching cat naps in a vicoden haze.

My husband has had to hide my .357 pistol, because frankly on the days that are horribly bad, I really just want to die. I should be in the prime of my life, I'm only 35 years old. But here I am, crippled up with the most embarrassing symptoms you could think of.
dragons fire; i feel your pain in the ***!! what sucks about this is that i was fine a couple of weeks ago and now can not image living this way..I was going back on prozac because i was obsessing over my constipation etc..now i have another reason...What kind of doctor have you seen so far for this??? I know you didnt intend your post to be funny but the part about what you'd like to tell people made me laugh...
Since the development of the evil HMO's, so far I've only been to see my primary doctor. And unfortunately both him, his physician's assistant and the office help, in my humble opinion are a bunch of morons. I would change doctors if there was another decent one in this small town. But there isn't.

There is a ray of hope though, I've finally gotten a referral to a cororectal specialist.. not sure if I spelled that right.
My appointment is in July. I just hope to God this guy has a clue.

And as ironic as this sounds, I hope I am in the prime of my monthy agony when I do go to see him. Because right now, I'm back to normal, or as normal as I can get. The *** pain has run it's course. I don't know if that will happen though with these hormone pills that are supposed to stop it though.

But I'm still exhuasted. My period started on May 21st, and it is now June 6th.. so about two weeks of non stop pain, and hardly any sleep has taken it's toll.
And my rant about what I'd like to say to people who ask me why I limp..lol.. well that's my dark humor showing thru. Although in all honesty, that's exactly what my pain feels like most days.. a big ole rusty wire brush being shoved up my butt and ripping my insides out.
Sometimes I don't know which is worse though, the pain or the mental anguish this condition has caused me. I look back and I remember a time when I never even thought about the last time I had a bowel movemet, wether it was hard or soft, or even *gag* what it looked like.
Now, it's like.. Oh my god, I didn't poop today, what's wrong now? Or when I do, I'm like... how big is it? Does it have any blood on it? (gag again) Did I poop enough? It's almost like I'm trying to play detective. Thinking that maybe if I stare at it long enough I'll get some kind of answer like a psychic does looking at tea leaves, pffft.. It's insane but I can't help it.

And the confusion I feel about this whole thing. Ugh! All the misdiagnosis.. maybe it's this, maybe it's that.. all the time I've spent on the internet researching what in God's name is causing this, and comming up empty.  The best way to describe how I feel is helpless I guess.
I am glad I am not totally insane. I am so sorry that any one has this horrible pain in the rear issue. My problems are so similar to the ones described. Usually after a BM I get the stabbing rectal pain that seems to take forever to ease off. But sometimes I am rudely awakened by horrible rectal spams. The pain wakes me up and last sometimes the rest of the night. I have to take a Muscle relaxer or Hydrocone. My Doctor is treating me for high blood pressure ( probably caused by the intense pain in my rear) says he will send me for some test. I will check back. Good Luck to all of us.
Hi all, I haven't kept up with this thread in awhile and I see it has grown. Oh my,  so many of us have the same problem.

Well, since I last posted, I had a colonoscopy because I was certain this rectal pain must mean something horrible. Well, my colon was clean except for one internal hemorrhoid. Some days the rectal pain is almost gone and other days it is stabbling again. I am still finding some relief in flexeril. I am planning on seeing the GI doc who did my colonoscopy again and he said we could try some other anti-spasmodics.

I noticed one poster said she didn't have this until after her colonoscopy. Well, I never had this until I had an ovarian cyst and the responsible ovary and tube removed. I am thinking this is related to IBS-C, because most of us post we have constipation.

This is the most annoying condition and one that seems impossible to figure out. How are all of you doing? Any breakthroughs?

Linda J
Hi there, yes, levator ani syndrome. I pretty much diagnosed myself mentally with this as soon as I learned for sure, my colon was "clear". I know that is why the flexeril helps, as it is a muscle relaxant and the sphincter is a muscle...lol. But, this med makes me so groggy, I can only tolerate 1/2 tablet and only at night. So midway thru the day it wears off and the spasms are back.

Please keep posting about your hubby and if he finds something that really works. I think my ovarian cyst put pressure on my pelvic floor and caused these spasms to start. Now the cyst is gone, but the spasms are not!

Linda J
I have read this forum and in fact even printed it out and took it to my husbands Dr.  To make a long long story short, my husband has suffered from rectal pain for the last 5-7 years.  Sometimes it becomes unbearable.  Like many of you he was told it was IBS, given all kinds of meds, told to eat fiber and on and on.  We finally went to the University of Michigan and saw Dr. Chey who is a specialist in Gastroentrology.  He scheduled a series of tests including a defacgraphy, a nerve test and others.  I really cant recall.  The bottom line is this. We went back today for a follow up.  Diagnosis!  Levator Ani Syndrome.  What a surprise as we had research this ourselves and we were armed with information if he failed to come up with an answer.  He said to try the flexiril but mostly it will be therapy which will help my husband learn to keep that muscle relaxed.  We had to find a therapist that specialized in pelvic floor/chronic rectal pain.  It really wasn't that hard to find.  So hopefully this will help some of you.
I still do not know what to make of my pain as well..so far saw my internist, rectal surgeon and my gyno...trying another gastroenterologist cause i cannot get in to see mine...

My rectal pain started after straining in the bathroom almost 5 weeks ago..the only way i can describe it is as if i am sitting on something, a fist in my butt or like something is falling out!!! I had sonograms and only found an ovarian cyst..I have internal hemmorhoids..so far no rectocele..My gyno said less than slight like a very..very..very less than small bulge to suggest a retrocele but says it is nothing to worry about( i havent even had kids!!)..i do notice the pain is worse before my period!!! the rectal surgeon suggested a "defogram" i think it is called..i know what it is and dont want to have it..but he does not know a radiologist who does this in my area!!!! I am so uncomfortable..the only thing that helps are numerous sitz baths..800 mg motrin or ultracet...I am very perplexed and dont feel like i will ever be normal again..and yes i also have irritable bowel with constipation...sorry so long..
Hi everyone, I seem to spend my spare time searching the internet for people like me so was happy to find this site today !
I have been a rectal pain sufferer since December 2005,  it seems I have been down the same path as you all...many doctors visits, hopes up that THIS DOCTOR WILL KNOW and then back to square one thinking I know more than they do
I have had sclerotherapy for hemarroids, anoscope, flexiscope revealed nothing. The bum doctor said that one day i would wake up and the pain would be gone away HA HA, no such luck
I have trouble sitting and at night rectal spasms trigger bladder spasms and my whole body gets very twitchy as though my body is having a party ! My gynaecologist has diagnosed chronic pelvic pain syndrome and I take Amtriptyline at night ( only half a tablet, it makes me hungover before I even sleep )I believe it is all set off by levator ani syndrome, now everything is tense and contracted.
My biggest hope is with my physiotherapist who is doing internal massage twice a week. I have also ordered a book called A HEADACHE IN THE PELVIS which explores therapy for people like us.

I am in New Zealand, 48 year old female
Well, no thrilling update to post. I was hoping this specialist would have some kind of clue right off the bat, but of course, no. Oh and of course I was feeling fine for the appointment, no pain at all. Grrrr! He does at least take me seriously and is sending me for some tests. I'm schedualed for a transrectal ultrasound this comming Friday. And his office is trying to work with my insurance company so I can get a defogram or what ever that test is called where they watch you poop. lol ugh, how disgusting. But at this point, I'm up for any test that will diagnose this once and for all.
I am so so glad to hear I am not the only one with this problem.  My problem started right before Memorial Day when I went to the restroom and noticed a line of what I think was blood on the outside of my stool.  Honestly, it looked like someone had drawn a line down the side of it with a red SHARPIE.......then around the end of May we were driving back from Port Aransas and I started to feel these sharp pains and pressure in my rectum.  They have not stopped since.  I went to the Gastro and have an appt for 20 July for a colonoscopy and upper endo because of suspected GERD.  I have not seen blood in my stool since except when I was (or thought I was) constipated and used a Fleet enema to clear things out.  Then it was just blood streaked clear liquid.  Sorry to be so detailed.  Of course the net has me entirely freaked out and poised to die at any moment.  I have tried prep H supposities and the cooling gel and no relief.  The only relief has been a couple of Jack and Cokes and the hot tub.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Oh yeah, I am 36 with two children and had a grapefruit sized Ovarian Terratoma (I know, yuck) removed along with right ovary and tube last October..........
Just wanted to add to my earlier response and maybe help some others get a diagnosis for these awful rectal pain symptoms.I think you should all investigate the pudendal nerve (PN/PNE) http://www.tipna.org. It is not great reading but from my point of view may lead to me understanding what is going on in my butt. Rest assured there are others like us, doesn't make the pain go away but the forum on the TIPNA website has become a real lifeline for me. Well worth looking at.
The sonogram found something!!! We all don't know what yet, but I am thrilled to report that there is something down there that isn't supposed to be there.. LOL The specialist was very shocked at my enthusiasm. I was like dude, I've been suffering with this freaken agony for over a year now.. It's nice to know it's not in my imagination.. there is tangible evidence now. Proof to show my primary doctors, the morons who I suspect think I was faking and overexagerating how much pain I have been in.
I'm only 22 and I have some of the same problems. Right now I have an intensly painful Hemriod on the outside. I cant walk, sit, move, there is no comfortable place. I took a warm bath, I used the cream, I eat plenty of fiber and drink lots of water. Arent I too young for this? Its not my first, but it is in a new spot. I also have ovarian cysts, which I have had since I was 17. I'm on birth control and have been for a long time, so my only recollection of my natural period was that I didnt get it regularly. I also have chronic lower back pain, which wakes me up every morning, and intense sharp random pain, which feels like its attaching one ovary or the other. I also have definate bloating problems, to the point where the pain is too much to handle and I am visibly bloated.

I'm only 22 and need serious help. I am trying to put all the symptoms together, because I feel they are inter-related.

Any help, advice is welcome. Thanks!

I havent posted in a while..my pain seemed to subside a bit, not back to normal but better until the other day i got up in the middle of the night to pee..i was sitting on the bowl and the pain started in my rectum..i started to pass out..i crawled to my bed with severe pain in my butt but also vaginally or bladder??? I dont know if i was passing out due to the pain..my DH took me to the ER but by my time we got there i wasnt passing out anymore and the pain wasnt as bad so didnt go in..Since then back to where i started with butt pain, taking ibuprofen to relax the muscles, ultracet for pain and sitting in a hottub/sitz bath..I finally have a gastro appt tomorrow..i think as some posted it could be related to the bladder and rectum or vaginally..they seem related..dragonsfire also mentioned a transrectal sonogram..good idea..and i am looking at the website for PNE..the only problem i see is convincing a doctor to check these things out too.. thanks for letting me vent
I have been suffering from rectal spasms for several years.  They are sporadic and usually occur when I am sleeping, so I question the diagnosis of stress.  My doctor prescribed nitroglycerine (Nitroquick tablets 0.4mg)one tablet to be disolved under the tongue.  It provides relief within 10 min.!  He said he realizes that this may seem like an odd application for the medicine but because it opens up all the blood vessels and capillaries, he felt it would provide relief, and it has!  I am a 53 yr. old female going through menopause and I have read in my research that these spasms may be related to low estrogen levels.  I also read that the spasms are usually benign and will subside over time.  I have attacks usually every 2 months or so and they are so painful that I can't get relief without the nitroquick.  So, I hope that this info may help some of you.
First I would like to say that I usually do not post on these forums, just a listener :), but I am going crazy with this problem.
Let me say, I have fought constipation most of my life, I am 42. It all started in January when i didn't have a bowel movement for a week.  I became impacted and had to manually remove the stool from my rectum (gross I know), then a week later same thing, but this time after I removed the stool, I still felt like I had to go.  My rectum was clean...nothing there.  Since then I have had this horrible rectal pressure, like I constantly have to move my bowels.  Even when my stools are soft, it takes straining to have a bowel movement and afterwards it still feels like I need to go. There constantly feels like there is something in my rectum.
colon rectal surgeon says hemrrhoids are unremarkable...even after having 5 children.  Colonoscopy showed only 3 very small polyps that were benign.  I have gone to my obgyn thing maybe a rectocele or uterine prolapse, he says only very slight prolapse when tugging on my cervix if any.  He did an ultrasound and says everything is where it belongs, but that my uterine cavity appears Smaller? than usual and wants to do another ultrasound in which they add water to the uterus....what would that have to do with this rectal pressure. He says I have good vaginal tone....yeah me, like it really matters with the rectal pressure.
I still have 4 beautiful children at home ages 15-5 and if it wasn't for them I wouldn't even feel like going on living.  I have said to my husband a couple of times that I will not live the rest of my life like this because it will drive me insane.  I have so much to live for, but wish sometimes I could just ensd it all.
Some days it is tolerable, and when I say tolerable I mean I can somewhat function, and other days it is unbearable.  What is weird, is that when I lay down the symptoms become mcuh milder, sometimes almost total relief.
I have no insurance, and can not afford to go through 50 million tests to try to find out what is wrong.  I have already spent $2000.00 + on the colonoscopy and ultrasound.
This is ruining my life.  I can not be the mother or wife I use to be because this consumes me.  I am irratable and becomiong depressed more and more every day.  Some days when it is tolerabl, I get a glimmer of hope and then I have a really bad day and it shoots that hope right out the window.  
I pray many nights that i will wake up and it will magically be gone, but when I crawl out of bed...its just another day of hell!
I do not know how much longer I can take this.  I lay around most of the day, because it gives me some relief...what a waste of life...I do not know how much longer I can go on. I literally cry most days.
I am sorry for being so long winded, but it helps just a little to vent.
Thank you for listening
I can relate to how all of you feel! its so damn depressing to live feeling this way..of course it could be worse,but the pain is unbearable!I have mutliple stomach/bowel problems..and maybe endometriosis..i have laparscopy aug 9th,finally moved it because i been in so much pain and cant eat..lost 40lbs fast,im 28 and up to this point never let it get to me,always had problems with ibs.. the runs or constipation..living on laxatives or imodium (immodium),but after easter this abdominal pain hit me like i was being stabbed everyday for 2 months along with the worst nausa ,i was able to go the bathroom ,that wasnt the issue..spent 3 days in hospital on morphine drip,had colonoscopy,endoscopy,ultrasounds,hida scan,cat scan,kidney x ray,everything was normal but mild acid reflux,so now its pointing to endometriosis.The pain stopped for few weeks,felt normal and could eat,now its all back.I've had the feeling or pressure after bm i wasnt done but it wasnt unbearable like it is now,its constant,went to dr yesterday did a rectal exam said it was roids,last week i had bad episode of constipation/impaction 5 hrs on toilet straining lucky i didnt give myself a stroke!I pulled every muscle it felt like,since then i had worse rectal pain and pressure i have to go and cant,if i do its blood ,and i get anxiety attacks before i eat cuz i dread the pain,so i basically been living on slim fast,boost,jello,juice and water cuz im afraid to eat.This is driving me nuts and causing deep depression,is there any end to this?!?
I usually don't post on these either but after reading this post I feel it's my duty... And Might I add, I'm so glad to have found you people.

I am a MALE (we too have this problem) and I have had this problem for 3 years now.  I know that sounds bad knowing the pain, however, the good news is I've done tons of self research and thought alot about this problem and seen many doctors, accupuncturists, and herbal medicine people for this problem and I have some help to offer you poor suffering souls! ;)

As far as this problem is concerned, I'm just like all the rest in as far as I too once could only think about my rectal problem, the feeling, the pain, etc.  I still focus on it a bit (hence tonight my searching on the net found this site) but it isn't all encompassing, one can live a good life. Since this problem started I've been around the world and lived for long durations in foreign countries with this problem.  

I believe for me this problem is caused by weak or stretched ligaments the support the rectum. The doctor I saw at Bumrungrad in Thailand also felt this to be the case and went so far as to say it looked like (from the cheap cheap tests they do in Thailand for all of us broke people in the states) the there was some abnormal descension in the region of the rectum (perianal?).  This would be why when we need to go to the toilet we REALLY feel the large mass and pain and after we've gone to the toilet the heavy feeling subsides after going.  The weight of the feces really puts a weight on the rectum.  The complete solution to this problem I haven't found, YET!, but I will.  And until then we all must keep our chins up and search inside and, importantly, outside the medical system.  Obviously there's not a lot of interest for western medicine in fixing this problem.  The doctors in the states really can't diagnosis it (and the ones in Thailand struggle as well but they are nicer and will try really diligently to diagnose the problem unlike some experiences I've had in the USA.

OK, so here are some things to do to relieve the pain and constipation:

1. Metamucil.  6 capsules every night.  The next morning drink hot water (or coffee if you must) to push through the metamucil.  This help relieve the constapation and clear out the bowel in the morning. The metamucil also isn't so bad for your health. And the hot water pushes it through.  You might have to have 2 or three cups of hot water, maybe more.  

2.Water jet enema!  My favorite! Basically, after you deficate, take a water jet from some source (get creative) and shoot some water up into the rectum.  Then expell the water.  Repeat this a few times until you feel like you have gotten rid of that "mass".   I discovered this solution staying in a 5 star hotel room that had a bidet.  If there's no bidet then I make a home made bidet.  I went to the local store and bought a spray water bottle that will produce a strong stream.  After I deficate, if I'm not near a bidet, I will use my bottle of water to clean out my rectum.   It really helps.

3.Yoga.  It's one of the few things I know of we can do to strengthen those inner muscles in the bowel area.  I did this reliegiously for 5 months and I can tell you it helps.

4.Pay attention to the foods you are eating.  Cut out the junk, the sugars, the low fat high calorie foods over processed foods.  Try to eat very natural whole foods.  I find a diet based on brown rice and vegetables really helps with the problem as well.  If I eat junky food, I can tell my symptoms get worse.

*IF ANYONE FINDS A SUCCESSFUL CURE OR REAL DIAGNOSIS MAKE A PROMISE THAT YOU WON'T FORGET THIS BOARD AND YOU WILL POST THE "CURE" OR DIAGNOSIS.  Too often people moan and groan on these sites, but when they feel better that forget all about the posts.  

I hope this has helped a few of you struggling out there.
CLK5........
I know exactly how you feel! Your symptoms are almost like mine to a T. I cried when I read  your post.  The "nothing in your rectum" after you finally have a bowel movement. the constant pain, the "tolerable days", The thinking that tomorrow will be better, only to wake up with the terrible agony again.
My life has also turned to utter ****, cause the only thing that makes me feel normal is lying in my easy chair on a heating pad, and doing absolutely nothing all day. And of course that makes the constipation worse, our bodies need exercise to make our guts work right. But my God what a catch 22, cause even walking at work is sometimes utter agony. I have to take pain pills just to make it thru somedays, and those cause constipation too.. so what the hell are we supposed to do?!?! I don't want to live the rest of my life like this either. I wake up in the morning and waste so many hours of my life waiting for a bowel movent, trying again and again so the pain will go away, or give me some freaken relief. And my sex life is practically non existant. It wasn't that great before, because sometimes it hurt, but now, it hurts all the time. I get no joy whatso ever out of it. I feel bad for my husband and sometimes cry and think he deserves so much better than me, this lump of **** that lies around all damn day.

For those following my particular story, I wish I could give you all some good news. But I still have no answers from my rectal specialist. I have two more tests to go thru. One is an MRI, and the other the defogram thingy.
I hope everyone is feeling better or at least found out some news! I still havent,ended up in er Fri nite severe pain ,felt like appendix acting up..had symptoms..urge to pass stool or gas ,and couldnt,nausa fever,and worst stomach pain,but after bloodwork and another catscan dr said it isnt that. 2 more days till my laparoscopy,still unable to eat or sleep..this is so #$_+(@! miserable,how do you all deal with it? I told my dr if im not on some pain managment i swear i'm about to shoot myself! ( I know I wouldnt or couldnt do that) but I guess when your in so much pain you reach point you cant take nomore.I think I reached the point I cant eat no matter how hungry i am,just been living on liquids.Anxiety attacks kick in few times a nite,thinking im not gonna wake up cuz im starving to death ,my heart is gonna stop blah blah...this really does take a toll.I use to have high tolerance for pain,this is going on for 6 months!Can endometriosis really be this painful,and make you sick? good luck to everyone!
Hi there, I had just what you are describing for 6 months almost non-stop,  except when I was sleeping. The pain was driving me nuts. Mine started in January with an ovarian cyst that was pressing on my rectum. I had the cyst and left ovary and tube removed (benign) in March,  but the rectal pressure and pain was still there. Went and had a colonoscopy in June and that revealed 1 medium sized internal hemorrhoid. My primary care physician was willing to try a muscle relaxant called flexeril which I was able to take only at night (it made me sleepy). This has relieved the spasms to the point that now I only have them occasionally and much milder. I am no longer taking anything for the pain, and hope the problem does not return.

I am posting this in the hopes that you too can find some relief. I know exactly how you are feeling because every morning I would get up hoping the pain would be gone only to find it was still there.

Please post again and let us know how you are doing.

Linda J
i'm 30 years old i was diagnosed with endometriosis 3 years ago 3 months after i got married and went through a telescopie to remove the cyst and endo , i had constant severe rectal pain and pressure for 3 years other than the endo attacks that kept me checking in and out of imergancy rooms  after i got pregnant it disappeared and now my baby is 5 months old and i have rectal pressure and pain again
most of the month during ovulation, the day after sex ,during periods ( i do not have rectal bleeding )
can't sit can't walk my marriage is in trouble my life.. well i guess this pain kills whatever life we have it seems i'm not alone and this is getting very popular i think the doctors should do a better job finding the reason and cure Christ i mean cancer is being treated and we still don't know what we've got ....
my gynecologist says it couldn't be the endo back so soon after giving birth and i don't know what to do i don't want to go back in time those 3 years were hell ...
i'm sorry for all of us and i wish they'd find us a cure
A related discussion, Proctitis/Ulcerative Proctitis was started.
A related discussion, Abnormal pressure on rectum. Please help was started.
A related discussion, radiating pelvic and rectal pain was started.
I believe KEH is right. In many cases it has to do with low estrogen or the improper ratio levels of hormones to each other, as in hormone imbalance. I am in perimenopause and take bioidentical hormones, the only kind to take, in my opinion. And I've never had rectal pain at all until my dr started adjusting my doses and upping my progesterone. After that, the nigjt sweats returned which indicates low estrogen, but at the same time I noticed rectal pain, nerve tingling in feet and hands and urethral pain. I knew that the latter two could be caused by low estrogen and imbalances so we upped my estrogen and the symptoms went away, including the rectal pain.

I reccommend a good hormone doctor who believes in natural hormones, not synthetic, and a good compounding pharmacy! At the very least, getting hormones in balance should help the body heal and fight any secondary disorders that are causing the problems.  

I HAVE SOMETHING THAT MAY HELP SOME OF YOU
I hope this at least may help some of you guys x I am 21 years old , after giving birth to my daughter I experienced minor rectum discomfort , I first noticed it when sitting driving my car , I found I had to push of the seat in order to relieve the discomfort , then it became more of a burning/stinging/ acid type feeling , then it worsened having a bowl movement was unbearable I'd shove towels in my mouth just to get through it , I eventually couldn't take it any more and visited my gp , they said it could be anal fissure and u should take rectogesic cream to relax muscle and let it heal , this treatment didn't even scratch surface and so revisited informing them that I could not care for my baby properly and cream was not going to cut nor the supositories ! I was then taken for consultation to have Botox injections to again relax / paralyse the muscle so the fissure could heal as it would not be constantly opened , this did not work either and pain by this time was so bad I visited gps and said I was considering taking my own life , especially seen as though I'd had to go private after a **** up with nhs and forked out £2000 to then be told by the disgrace of a doctor that I must have mental issues as my pain could not be as bad as I was saying and that I should seek mental help !!!!!!!
I also developed a small pile or hem external only which used to bleed along with the fissure after my bowel movement .
The pain used to vary sometimes flare up others not so bad I tried enemas the lot but nothing , consultants like you dismised my pain and made me feel like I was exaggerating and belittled me .
7 months after battling on I visited northern Cyprus , I was concerned that my symptoms were again flaring up so just on a whim was interested to see if I could book a consultation with their specialist . To my amazement not only was he available to see that very same hour after determining that an examination was not properly possibly as area was too tender he said this is a common problem and along with a nurse they said if I opt for surgery he will 100% cure me and I will never have pain again . After my AWFUL previous experience with doctors I was jubious to say the least however I was also at my White end therefore agreed and they said they could operate within the hour !!!!!!
They gave me something similar to an epidural which numbed me from waist down which meant I was awake through whole thing ! It was amazing , completely pain free , when the surgeon was able to look properly he found a 2 inch infected fissure !!!! He stitched it and also layered my external hemmeroid off .
I was soooo scared that the pain after the procedure would be terrible I refused to believe anything they said and prepared for the worst the next day , shoved my usual towel in my mouth and braced for the intense pain to set in .... Nothing .... I looked down in the toilet and couldn't believe that I had felt nothing but the stool itself leave my bowel !! With no painkillers masking any pain I continued my bowel movement with towel still in hand but nothing , no pain whatsoever came !!! The same happened the next day !!!
So please if you have anal fissure do not be bullied into living your life around toilets. And pain do not let them dismiss your pain as nothing , the consultants here say anal fissures are one of THE WORST and MOST painful conditions to have , most of all do not let them give you a colostomy bag !! Get it stitched up !!
Hope this gives even one of you the new fresh start to their life that it has given me x
A related discussion, Rectal Pain and Pressure was started.