Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Recurrent Gas

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Recurrent Gas
Recently i have experienced symptoms of recurrent gas.
Bloating, belching (sometimes that had to be self induced by swallowing air to relieve the pressure) and pressure in the abdominal region.

As of last year, the symptoms appeared (a very stressful year)

Initially, I ignored the symptoms taking home remedies..Maalox, gas-x..etc.

One morning the symptoms became so severe I thought I was having a heart attack, so I went to the hosipital.  The doctors did a full examination..x-ray, ekg, etc..Nothing found.  I mentioned to the doctor that a neighbor had given me a klotopin pill which relieved the symptoms (because I thought I was having a panic attack)  The doctor gave me a script which has lasted me beyond the year as I only take it when the conditions are to severe to physically function. (Feeling like an alien is about to bust out of your chest and the incapacity to catch your breath)

In some research I thought this might be candidas albicanis, however I've changed my diet accordingly eliminating almost all yeast products to no avail.  I feel the culprit is else.

The only temp relief currently is stretching my arms above my body to induce belching, rocking in a sitting motion, klotopin when the symptoms are severe, swallowing air to induce belching, good ol' maalox, dietary advantage gas prevention (hasn't helped that much), tried a candida albicanis eliminating herbal pill (my preliminary diagnosis), eliminated caffeine from my diet.... I'm at a loss.

Klotopin treats alot of things including spasms, convulsions...

Is this a recurring panic attack?  Something else...

Oh, all of the symptoms are independent of eating.  They occur throughout the day.

Thanks in advance for your response.

jddockery
Before attributing the symptoms to a panic attack, you want to ensure there isn't anything more serious going on first.  

I would consider an upper GI series or upper endoscopy to rule out things like dyspepsia (i.e. GERD, an ulcer or inflammation of the upper GI tract).  Irritable bowel disease can sometimes cause the sensation of increased gas.  You can consider anti-spasmodic agents to see if it helps with the symptoms.

If the GI tests continue to be negative, then certainly anxiety and panic attacks can be looked at.  

You can discuss these options with your personal physician or in conjunction with a GI evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM OFF AND ON FOR THE LAST TWO YEARS AND IN THE LAST 6 MOS IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HEAR ANYTHING GOOD FROM YOUR DOCTOR.