Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Recurrent Stomach Pain With Nausea

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Recurrent Stomach Pain With Nausea

I am a nineteen year old female and a student at the University of Georgia.  For approximately the last year and one half, I have had constant pain in my stomach along with nausea.  I have been to see numerous doctors who each have a different diagnosis.  They have told me...spastic colon, gastritis, reflux, hyperacidity, stress etc.  They have prescribed a number of different drugs, some don't work at all while others give me temporary relief.  The pain is constant in my upper abdomen and sometimes travels left, right or down, but 24 hours a day seven days a week I have nausea and pain which comes from the upper middle part of my stomach.  Although the pain is constant it often varies in severity.  The pain is like someone is clenching my stomach.  It is not a sharp pain or pulsing.  It is a constant squeeze on my stomach.  Sometimes the nausea is so bad I have to leave class.  But, when I get to the bathroom I can never throw up.  This has affected my eating habits, however I have not seen any changes in my weight.  I have monitored the food I am eating and have discovered that it doesn't matter what or when I eat it still aches.  The area around my stomach is always sensitive to touch.  Each time the doctor presses there it is very sore.  My mother's sister died of stomach cancer in June.  She went undiagnosed for two years before they discovered why her stomach hurt constantly.  I realize that she is a rare case but it is a concern for myself and my mother.  
  I would greatly appreciate any ideas you have on my condition.  Please reply to the following address    ***@****
_____
Dear Erin,
Persistent abdominal pains despite trials of empiric therapy, are indications for further investigation including endoscopy and barium studies.  A frequently overlooked cause for symptom complex is gastroparesis, impaired gastric emptying.  A radiosiotope gastric emptying study will identify if your stomach functions properly and if treatment with prokinetic drugs may help.
This information is presented for educational purposes.  Ask specific questions to your personal physician.
HFHSM.D.-rf
*keywords: abdominal pain, gastroparesis
0.1

A related discussion, pain all over was started.
A related discussion, Stomach pain with nausea was started.