Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Recurrent pain after ERCP
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recurrent pain after ERCP

I am a 46 yr old female, 5'9", 135 lbs, & in good health. My gall bladder was surgically removed 25 years ago (age 21); one stone about the size of a grape was found.  There were no significant after effects from the surgery.  

About 1 year ago I began having chronic pain & pressure in my upper right abdomen directly behind my rib cage. Basically it feels like a tennis ball lodged in my liver.  At its worst, the pain radiates to my back and up the front of my chest wall to my collarbone.  I cannot lay on my right side because of the pressure.  I have eliminated fatty/greasy foods from my diet and cannot tolerate red meat at all.  Eating is difficult because of the discomfort that follows.  During one 6-week period I completely lost my appetite and lost 15 lbs, about 10% of my body weight. I have never been jaundiced, nor had a fever since this began.  My stools are normal, though not as regular during my periods of loss of appetite.

My doctors have conducted numerous tests to locate the problem.  Every liver function test (approximately 10 total) has come back in the normal range.  An ultrasound, CT-scan, and EGD showed nothing.  An MRCP showed a 10mm enlargement of the common bile duct, which prompted an ERCP; however, nothing was found during that procedure.  During the ERCP several passes of the balloon were made and a stent was inserted under the assumption that the pain was caused by intermittent blockage.  

After the ERCP there was a noticable decrease in pain, though it took several weeks for it to subside completely.  For 6 weeks I was relatively pain free.  To be safe, I continued with my same diet (minimal fat, no red meat).  Three months after the ERCP, however, the pain has now gradually returned to the same level as before the procedure. I am also losing my appetite again because of the pain associated with eating.  (I did not regain the weight I lost before and do not want to lose any more.)  Basically, I feel like I am right back where I started.

I have an appointment with my GI next week.  Before I go, I would like to know whether I should agree to another ERCP or whether I should explore other procedures?  Should the focus be on my common bile duct, or could it be something else.  Because I did get some relief after the stent was inserted, it seems logical that it was the right procedure, but why has the pain returned?  Can the stent fail?  Any guidance you can offer would be much appreciated.  Thank you.