Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Recurring Boils

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Recurring Boils

I am a 37 year old female.  In the past couple of months, I started getting boils in different areas on body.  The first was inside my nose (very painful).  Then, one surfaced on my ribcage. Both eventually went away.  I then developed a boil on my tailbone right at the top of the crack.  That one got so big that it abcessed and I had to have it lanced (extremely painful).  Couldn't sit for days.  Since then I have gotten three more in the same area on my tailbone all at different times.  Two went away on their own, but the one I have currently seems to be lingering.  I have tried hot compresses, hot baths, even a heating pad, but I'm really worried that I will have to have this one lanced also.  Can anyone tell me why all of the sudden I am getting these?  I had read about people that carry staph in their body are prone to getting them.  I took an antibiotic during delivery of my twins four years ago, because they said I had that.  Please help!
I assume you consulted a Dermatologist. If you haven't, you should.
I have the same problems with boils.  I used to get them in my armpits when I was a teenager, and was told to stop shaving.  I did, and now they are rare in my armpits.  However, I still get them inside my nose sometimes, and on my buttocks and inner thighs (in the groin area).

Frequent boils are a sign of diabetes (sugar is secreted from the pores and feeds bacteria).  I was tested for that and the test came back negative.  But I now believe that I'm prediabetic--insulin resistent.  I have been following a low-carbohydrate diet, and for the first time in years--ever?--the skin on my butt is clear.  I've had no boils in the groin area for close to a year--this is amazing.

I suggest that you get tested for diabetes, and that you also consider a low-carb diet.  This is good for everyone, but essential for people with diabetes or other blood sugar problems.