Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Recurring Dizziness/Vertigo, Elevated Liver Tests
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Recurring Dizziness/Vertigo, Elevated Liver Tests

I have a problem that has been intermittent over the last 3 years.  It started right after I gave birth to my son in 1999.  About 1 month after giving birth I experienced my first episode of debilitating dizziness/vertigo.  It took almost 24 hours to pass, and until it did I could not walk around without bumping into walls and feeling very nauseous.  My OB/GYN thought it was anemia and increased my dosage of iron.

This same month I applied for life insurance and was turned down because the tests indicated that I "overindulge" in alcohol and was a poor insurance risk.  This is simply not the case -- I am a very light drinker - no more than 2 glasses of wine in any given week, and usually less than this.

Over the course of the next 2 years the dizziness came about once every-other-month, each time resulting in me staying in bed for at least 1-2 days.  I have worked with my GP to try to diagnose this problem.  My liver tests have consistently come back slightly elevated (I believe the ALT measurement in particular).  The dizziness eventually hit me about once every week.  My GP asked me to stop all alcohol consumption, which I did for over 6 months.  He also had me cease all dietary supplements, including my iron.  I had been taking a great deal of iron during my pregnancy to overcome anemia (3 times the recommended daily dosage-I was instructed by my doctor to continue this dosage for the next 2 years).  

This seemed to solve the problem somewhat, but now I am concerned that I am unable to take any supplements.  I would like to know whether I could at least take supplements like Vitamins C, E, B12, and calcium.

And the dizziness is back again.  I have noticed a strange pattern -- I can have a small glass of wine (4 oz or less) and not experience any problems.  But if I have 4 ounces of beer, it is guaranteed that I will become dizzy and it will last at least a day.

I have had an ultrasound of my liver, which came back as "slightly inflamed".

Here are any other pertinent facts I can think of:

- my blood pressure is typically low - usually 85/55.
- my Hepatitis test was negative
- I had my gallbladder removed due to gallstones (1994).
- I still do not have more than 2 glasses of wine in any month.
- I have PCOS, but this seemed to resolve after giving birth.  I have been very regular and normal since the pregnancy.
- the GP ordered heart tests and all came back negative
- the GP ordered a MRI on my head and it came back clear
- the GP ruled out an ear infection

What should I do from here?  I realize that dizziness is considered non-specific and that it "generally resolves within 24-48 hours", but I am growing more concerned the longer this goes on.  It is an extremely disconcerting feeling.

Should I try a supplement like Milk Thistle?  My research shows this to be generally regarding as safe and appropriate for liver issues.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.