Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Red flakes in stool

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Red flakes in stool

I one day noticed that something looked red in my stool. After looking closer it turned out to be a soft red flake of some kind. I'm 24 years old and I do not have a history of any kind of cancer in my family and it does not appear to be blood. It doesn't turn the toilet water a reddish color or anything like that. I have just noticed that from time to time (if I happen to look in the toilet after a bowel movement) I'll notice one of these red flake things mixed in with the stool. The consistency of the flake is soft and pliable and for lack of a better word, sometimes kind of gooey. Is this something that could just simply be a diet thing??
Red flakes in the stool can be caused by hemorrhoids, infection, colitis, or diverticulitis, amongst other causes.

I would consider a lower endoscopy - either a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy - to help rule out these causes.  

If negative, analyzing the stool for malabsorption syndrome can be considered.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
You can take it to the lab to be tested.
Could it be something you ate-red pepper?
Ulcer sores shedded could show up in the feces,but not sure if it is red.