Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Reflux Problems

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Reflux Problems

I have been told I have something called reflux now for the last 5 years I have been having intense chest pains accompanied with a feeling of panic everytime this happens I feel I am having a heart attack so I rush my self to the emregency room in a panic the first time I even called 911 and they took me by ambulance.
what I want to know is, is this normal?I have been to heart specialists and everytime I am in the emergency room they give me a complete workup of my heart blood ekg everything and they can never find anything wrong.And I feel terrible for wasting there time, when they could be helping someone really in need.I am a 26 year old male who is overweight but I am losing weight and am on a strict diet.I dont smoke I dont drink coffee or pop.I am seriously going out of my mind here.I went to see my family Doctor today and he sent me for some more tests something called a G.I. and an ultrasound he mentioned a few things hiatus hernia,Gull stones,Reflux.We dont hae the results yet and I am very anxious to find out the results.Has anyone else had any of these problems if so what where the symptoms and treatments.
I just want to say this site is one of the most usefull sites around.
I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH THE SAME SYMPTOMS FOR 5 YEARS. STARTED WITH CHEST PAIN, WHICH NATURALLY CAUSES ANXIETY. AFTER 17 TESTS, INCLUDING A COMPLETE PULMONARY, CARDIAC AND G.I. WORKUP, THE CONCLUSION IS THAT I HAVE GERD....GASTROESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE. IT'S NOT JUST HEARTBURN, BELIEVE ME. I GET CHEST PAIN RADIATING TO THE LEFT SIDE OF MY BACK, CHOKING FEELING, COUGHING, WHEEZING AND EVEN SPORADIC LARYNGITIS AND SINUS PROBLEMS. IT IS A VERY NASTY THING AND THE SYMPTOMS ARE NOT ALWAYS CUT AND DRY. I HAVE CURRENTLY TRIED MOST OF THE MEDICATIONS AND CANNOT TOLERATE THE SIDE EFFECTS. SOME OF THEM ARE PRILOSEC, NEXIUM, AXIFED, PROTONIX. MY NEXT STEP IS SURGERY TO FIX THE PROBLEM. HANG IN THERE AND DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD, BECAUSE IT IS NOT. I WENT THAT ROUTE 5 YEARS AGO AND WASTED MONTHS ON TRANQUILIZERS FOR ANXIETY. ONLY YOU KNOW HOW AND WHAT YOU FEEL, AND IF A G.I. DOCTOR TELLS YOU THESE ARE NOT GERD SYMPTOMS, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. IT TOOK ME 5 YEARS TO FINALLY FIND A DR. THAT I TRUST AND WHO LISTENS TO ME. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.
I am so relieved to hear that I am not going crazy.
I got my tests back and they didnt find anything once agian they where looking for gull stones and a hiatus hernia.
Thanks for your comment.
DID YOU SAY YOU HAD AN UPPER G.I.? SOMETIMES REFLUX DOES NOT SHOW UP ON THAT. HAS YOUR DR. SUGGESTED A 24 HR. PH/MOTILITY TEST? DEFINATELY NOT ONE OF THE MOST PLEASANT TESTS, BUT IT WILL GIVE YOU ANSWERS IF ACID REFLUX IS IN QUESTION. GOOD LUCK
The first time I experience real reflux was a terrifying experience.  The pain was harsh and prolonged.  I felt like I could not breathe and hyperventilated for several hours.  Most of this was caused not by the actual pain in my esophogus but rather the panic and anxiety I was experincing not knowing what was happening.  That was five years ago.

Recently I had a similar experience where I was convinced that I had an irregular heartbeat.  Went to the emergency room and had the usual EKG etc.  Of course they found nothing.  My regular doctor suggested that perhaps I have Esophogeal spasms which can seriously make you feel like something is happening in your chest.

The vast majority of people who have GURD (gerd) take a proton pump inhibitor such as Prilosec or Nexium and have very few problems, although it is probably a pill you will take for a long time.   Trust your doctor or get a new one.
I AGREE ABOUT THE MEDS. GERD IS A CHRONIC PROBLEM, SO YOU NEED TO FIND A MEDICINE THAT YOU CAN TAKE FOR THE LONG HAUL. HOWEVER, NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE THE LONG TERM EFFECTS OF THESE THINGS. EVEN FOR ME FOR THE SHORT TERM, I CANNOT TOLERATE THE SIDE EFFECTS. MOST OF THESE MEDS ALSO EFFECT THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. I FIND THAT I AM EITHER SO DROWSY AND CONFUSED OR I AM A MANIAC RACING AROUN WITH A VERY FAST HEARTBEAT. SO, ANYWAY, MY DR. PUT IT TO ME THIS WAY.....EITHER FIND A MEDICATION I CAN LIVE WITH (LITERALLY), OR FIX THE PROBLEM WITH SURGERY. THAT'S WHERE I AM AT NOW.
The support here is amazing. I thank you all.I litterally thought I was going crazy.Now unless we are all crazy these symptons arent in my head like a few of the emergency doctors have said.Thanks alot everyone for all the support.
Can someone explain to the best of there ability what a esophagaus spasm feels like, because I really think thats whats going on on top of the reflux of course.
You guys are great thanx agian.I am so relieved that there are other people out there besides me going through this.
I have been diagnosed with gastritis and esophagitis. I recently had a scope stuck down my throat and into my stomach so they could see what is going on. I don't know the official name of the procedure. Endoscopy maybe? Anyway, my Doctor told me to continue taking Nexium, 40 milligrams per day, but it is not working. I have taken it for 3 months now. Although I was not taking it on an empty stomach so now I am trying that. I really feel hopeless about this. It seems that there is no relief or cure? I can't imagine feeling like this for the rest of my life! Does anyone else feel this way? Are there certain foods that you don't eat? Does alcohol bother you? I have had panic disorder since I was pretty young, so this may be a result of that, so I was told. Anyway, any advice would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Melissa
I understand the panic, I have Mitral valve prolapse syndrome and have offered a support site for years at yahoo. To have another ailment is no fun.
I too found no relief from Nexium 40 mg for 5 weeks. Have you found any relief in anything elce. Keep a food journal / I do and have a limited bland diet which can help at times/
A compassionate doctor is helpful too. Many of us have sensitive CNS and can't take the meds.
Have you tried and DGL or other natural chewables ?
Have you lost weight ? How long does your heartburn last after a meal ? Thanks
Please see a heart doctor to diagnose esophogeal spasms. My Dr. discovered that was what I had after everything else had failed. I had gone through gallbladder surgery, all kinds of er visits and tons of tremendous pain. As soon as I was prescribed with sublingual nitro glycerin the pain is immediately gone. I have had only one incident in the last four years that was nitro resistant. Worth looking into
I'm going on my 4th month of this hell called acid reflux that has caused my a case of gastritis and esophagitis.  I've been going back and forth between Nexium and Losec with little success and can't tolerate the nausea and diarhea (diarrhea) from the Nexium.  Losec has it's side effects too but not quite as bad.  It doesn't work as well as Nexium though.

Melissa, does your gastritis & esophagitis cause you nausea and burning in your stomach and burning in your esophagus?  Do you ever have a nawing, burning pain when you don't eat?  I do and it feels terrible.  Has your doctor told you how long it will take for the gastritis & esophagitis to clear up?  The makers of Nexium say that it should clear in 4 - 8 weeks but not mine.

I had an upper GI yesterday and the attending physician said that my exam was completely normal - go figure.  I was expecting the worse because this feels so awful at times.

Do you any of you find that you burp a lot.  I burp silently and sometimes I belch but I burp constantly!  When I open my eyes in the morning and roll over the first thing I do is burp.  Is this from the gastritis or is it from gall bladder mayber.  I had a GB ultrasound yesterday too and am waiting for the results.

Good luck to all of you in getting rid of these symptoms.

Kittee
After reading all of your comments I really feel blessed. I do have a reflux problem that has resulted in damage to my esophagus that my Doctor describes as Barret's Esophagus. It is an inflammation of the esophagus and a pre-cancerous condition.
However, with my reflux I have not experienced any of the chest pains or other symptoms you all are describing. Except for the burning in my throat of course. Also, I have been on Nexium for a while now and it is working great. No problems that you describe.
Praise God!
                DGO
I'm so glad I found this site. I feel so much better now. I thought that I was the only one who feels like this.I had my first barium test at 16. I am now just turned 29 today! And yes 13 years of wondering when your just going to die is hell!
I feel for everyone.I found so much comfort in just now knowing that I'm not the only one.I'm going in for an upper G.I friday and taking a gal bladder ultrasound next week.
Anyway,
Here are some tips that I use.
(anxiety attacks)
Breathing techniques(almost like yoga) If you can close your eyes, listen and concentrate on your breathing.It's a form of meditation.Believe that it's all in your head.
(The sloth syndrome)
I brain wash myself that this is the only life that you get
And You have to want LIVE!That usually gets me up and takes my mind off the pain.

The best tip is:
I just started drinking this aloe vera pulp juice and it's working great! Either it's having plasibo effect or it really works, it's worth a try!

I wish everyone well!
I just came across this forum and had a question. I have experienced this feeling of my throat tigthening over the last month or so. It almost feels like I'm gagging or choking. It occurs at the bottom of my neck near my collarbones. It always forces me to cough hard as if I'm trying to clear something. Sometime the coughing is unbearable. However, I don't suffer from a lot of heartburn or chest pains. My stomach can get acidy and upset fairly easily though. I wonder if this could be a form of reflux. A doctor thought it might be asthmatic or an allergic reaction, but I didn't show any of the other signs. Do you need to have heartburn for reflux? Any thought?
Hello.. I have had acid Reflux for over 1 year now..  I am currently taking nexium 40mg twice a day.  I have problems where I get a numb like feeling go through my body and sometimes all the way up into my head.  Irregular heart beats, fast heart beats, etc..

I have had a endoscopy, where they diagnosed that I have Acid reflux.. NO kidding..  I used to burp all the time, could have won contests at a college doing it.  This was when I was on Prevacid.  When I changed to nexium, most.. not all, of the burping stopped.  So, it could be that your meds are causing you to burp, by either a reaction to the meds or they are not strong enough and your burping due to preassure still being built..  As your Dr. about that!.

I also have had a stress test to see if my heart is acting weird, along with wearing a heart monitor for 24 hours.. Just to make sure (peice of mind is a wonderful thing) that my heart is not going nuts...

Good luck to you.  Bill
If you find that the medication is affecting your heart rhythm then please tell your doctor.
I have had stress treadmill, cardio-beepers , tilt tables, echocardiograms and found these tests a helpful tool for the doctor. I had to stop any Ranitidine : family of meds for that reason. Prevacid as well.
I agree with Karie's suggestion about taking the DGL (De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice), which doesn't raise blood pressure, because the steroidal part of natural licorice has been removed, to produce DGL.

These chewable tablets are what my husband and I use DAILY, shortly before each meal. The DGL seems to really help to prevent our reflux (and helps heal ulcers too). We have the LPR type of GER.

GER=Gastro-esophageal reflux
LPR=Laryngeal-pharyngeal reflux

Laryngeal=larynx (voice box), behind the "adam's apple", where the vocal cords are located

Pharyngeal=pharynx (throat).

LPR is a type of gastric reflux that can burn/irritate the vocal cords, causing them to close up in a spasm called VOCAL CORD DYSFUNCTION (ALSO CALLED "LARYNGOSPASM"). This "choking" episode often happens while sleeping (lying down), but can also happen while standing or sitting! (Reflux can be acid reflux, or alkaline reflux--both are irritating to vocal cords).

We use the DGL INSTEAD OF ACID BLOCKERS, because, as several of you said, you are getting NERVE DAMAGE ("PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY") AS A RESULT OF USING ACID BLOCKERS! Peripheral nerves are outside the brain & spinal cord. Later, "central nervous system" nerve damage occurs (in the brain & spinal cord).

Here's the chain of events, as I understand them:

ACID BLOCKERS block hydrochloric acid production in the stomach.

But this acid is necessary, in order for the stomach to be able to produce molecules of a substance called "INTRINSIC FACTOR".

Normally, the "intrinsic factor" moves out of the stomach, with Vitamin B 12, into the "duodenum" (first part of the small intestine), where the "intrinsic factor" must be present, in order for Vitamin B 12 to be absorbed (in the duodenum) into the bloodstream.

When people take ACID BLOCKERS, their stomachs can't make the intrinsic factor, and this leads to MALABSORPTION (NO ABSORPTION) OF VITAMIN B 12.

Malabsorption of Vitamin 12 leads to NERVE DAMAGE (NEUROPATHIES)! Some symptoms of the nerve damage are BURNING, PAIN, PINS & NEEDLES, NUMBNESS, weird feelings ("paraesthesias"), ETC.

Some people feel the nerve damage in just a few days after starting to take acid blocking meds. Others start to feel the evidence of nerve damage after months or years of taking acid blockers.

There is a lot of good info about this acid blocker adverse effect, at the neurological website called http://braintalk.org

Go to the "Peripheral Neuropathy" forum at that website, to read about how to solve this serious problem: getting off acid blockers--using natural methods, if possible--supplementing with Vitamin B 12, and other supplements, to reverse nerve damage (when possible). Consult with a knowledgable doc about this.

Reflux is one MAJOR cause of Vocal Cord Dysfunction ("choking" episodes, throat tightness, not being able to breathe, etc.).

I made a website about VCD (having had personal experience with it, and my husband also). It's at http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com

We also use Slippery Elm Throat Lozenges, anytime. We drink a little organic fresh carrot juice.

There's a great book by Michael T. Murray, N.D. that has natural remedies for reflux, in it. See page 9 of my website (reference page) for title, etc.

On the "links" page of my website, there is a link to a very good PATIENT INFORMATION SHEET ON REFLUX, by a great ENT doc, Dr. James A. Koufman, M.D., who pioneered recognizing the connection between reflux (LPR) and respiratory problems (VCD, asthma, etc.).

I wish good luck to all!

Sincerely, Concerned lady

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
***@****
Thank you concernedlady, I plan to check out your website. I just wanted to note that I too am very interested in natural remedies for GERD. I really want to get off prilosec as I knew that it couldn't be good for you long term and my insurance stopped paying for it after 1 year. I tried licorice as well and when I told my Doc he had a fit and said I could damage my liver. I also tried aloe vera juice and it did not seem to help me. I don't really get acid reflux tho, I just get a pain right below my ribs, usually before eating. I have changed my diet (even stopped drinking coffee which I really miss in the morning)It is all very frustrating but this site has helped me to see that we are all in the same boat and some of you have a harder time than others. Ironically enough, my troubles all started after I began to eat healthy and exercise. I guess past sins with diet coke and so forth eventually catch up with us. It is also a shame that so many are stuck because of lack of insurance or HMO's. I too am limited to only one practice in my area so 2nd opinions really cost you. I wish the best for everyone.
What would have a doctor as mentioned in the previous message say theat the DGL would not help a patient with GERD,Heartburn ?
I have not had sugar,caffeine,chocolate for they effect my hearts rhythm. Would DGL have any ingredient to be concerned with ?
Thanks.
I don't want to worry anyone needlessly about the licorice. I was taking licorice root (purchased at the health food store) That must be different from the DGL which I had never heard of until today. I am going to Doc on Tues. & I am going to ask hin about trying DGL.
The IFFGD for Digestive Health matters sent us a informative booklet today and come to find out many patients with Mitral valve prolapse have GERD : abnormal esophageal motility .
I hope there is something that will help me heal and not effect my heart ............
Hi Prilo,
I am a fellow Prilo "babe". When I read all of this input I just want to cry. The only thing saving me from going insane is my walk with God. I have all of the "above" symptoms. Chest pain, stomach pain, headaches, pain in my back left & right side near my kidneys with a tingling beneath the skin that turns into pain. These last nine months have been the worst in my life. I have never experienced such long term pain so strongly and been told by doctors (which I changed several times) that its all in my head due to stress and anxiety. Heck my stress and anxiety didnt start until I started dealing with these doctors! I've had every test that can possibly be given to a humam being and not without a big fight. My last test which I don't have the results back yet was a stool specimen test for parasites!!! I mean really! Hey, when you're sick and desperate you'll try anything! Well, the only difference that I can see is that I can actually feel lumps in my stomach under my ribcage on both sides and the pain in my back is related. When I touch the lumps I can feel the pain radiate to all the areas that I have pain in. Still my doctors are stumped and don't know what it could be. I fought for and was referred to a doctor and had an endoscopy. Which I gagged through the whole time. I'm surprised they saw anything. But, was told I have a hiatal hernia and two small ulcers. No more details. I'm saying to myself well is this causing all these problems. They say no. Take more anti-depressants! Geezzz! Maybe they figure if they dope me up enough I won't feel the pain? Who knows anyway. Its sad to see that the Medical profession or I should say some of the medical profession is limited to their current knowledge of diseases and if it doesnt fit into their criteria then it must be in your head. Don't believe any of it. Pain is a warning signal that something is not right. I will not stop until I get to the bottom of what is causing all this pain and sickly feeling in my body. I feel as if I am rotten inside and the doctors are saying that its probably constipation. I do suffer from constipation but something isnt right in denmark! ok!? To be fair I know that my current doctor is doing the best that she knows how, but doctors need to be open to the unconventional illness. Anyway, I just want to encourage you and everyone reading this that God is in control. Even though I don't understand what is going on. I don't blame God because I know that something good will come from all of this. Don't give up trying to find out what is wrong because life is already to short. Be persistent and get answers!!!
God Bless
redeemed92
DGL (De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice) is NOT the same as the original "crude"/whole licorice.

Whole licorice has steroidal factors that can raise the blood pressure, and cause sodium and fluid retention (edema) when taken for prolonged periods of time.

The harmful steriodal part of whole licorice IS REMOVED, resulting in "DGL"! DGL still has other healing factors (thought to be "flavones").

DGL does NOT raise the blood pressure, as whole (crude) licorice does.

DGL chewable tablets must be chewed, to mix with saliva, in order to help heal stomachs (ulcers, etc.), and to help prevent gastric reflux in many people. The gastric reflux prevention was discovered by trial and error (just like all drug trials are a form of trial and error).

DGL seems to promote HEALING AND RE-GROWTH of the mucous-producing PROTECTIVE stomach lining cells. Perhaps this is part of why it helps to prevent reflux.

What's so nice about DGL is that it is NOT an acid blocker, so DGL doesn't cause NERVE DAMAGE, like acid blockers do, when the acid blockers interfere with Vitamin B 12 absorption!

Michael T. Murray, N.D. (Naturopathic doc) wrote a great book, available online, called Stomach Ailments and Digestive Disturbances: How You Can Benefit from DIET, VITAMINS, MINERALS, HERBS, EXERCISE and Other Natural Methods (1997).

My husband and I have found many useful ideas in this book.

I have never heard of any bad side effects from DGL, because it is NOT plain licorice. Could the doc who worried be confusing DGL with plain licorice?

Anyone who doubts that acid blockers cause nerve damage, should go to http://braintalk.org and read the horror stories on the "Peripheral Neuropathy" forum.

The Aciphex literature even admits that "neuropathy" (nerve damage) is a bad (adverse)side effect!

Good luck to all!

Sincerely, Concerned lady

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
***@****
Hi there,  I have had a reflux problem for the past 2 years.
My Doc gave me PPI's but I had some nasty side effects and now take nothing except for the odd dose of Gaviscon.  (I do have Ranitidine for real emergencies.) So far have not needed any.
I have found that a low fat diet, plus NOT eating certain foods will make all the difference.
Stay off, chocolate, Alcohol, citrus fruits, citrus juices,
any food made with tomatoes, tomato sauces, tomato puree's.
Vinegar, and food made with vinegar,also salad creams & salad dressings,& Fizzy pop.
Don't eat for at least 3 hours before bed-time.
Keep a list of all the things you eat,and if you had heartburn  or not.
Also try raising the head of your bed by upto 6 inches, use old books, or small blocks of wood.
When you need to bend down,  dont bend from the waist,
bend from the knee's.
This all sounds a drag, but its worked for me.
You can but try.
Jo.
Thanks for this informative board..........
What if infact we have done all suggested for 5 months and found nothing yet?
Tests ?
Would a Enzyme deficiency wreck such havoc on someone ?
Gaviscon is the one I have not tried.
Bought some DGL and lozenges as suggested though.
Reading up alot
Hi. I am trying to find out where to get a special wedge to sleep on.(I can't raise my bed as it is a bookcase headboard & all of my books will fall off!) I thought I saw some info on these wedges on one of the other posts but I couldn't find it a 2nd time so sorry. I stopped taking prilosec about a week ago ( I was getting the same kind of pain anyway, ( usually before eating and it kept on even after)So for 3 nights now, I have experienced burning after I lay down and go to bed. I never ever had this before. The only reason I even know I have GERD is because I had an endoscopy and my valve (or is it a spincter) does not close all the way. I plan on getting to health food store for DGL but I am having a sigmoidoscopy Tuesday so I'll start taking DGL after that.Regarding the sig. test, I am so frustrated as have had this test before & Doc found nothing (for blood with BM's). I really hate this test and this particular Doc must be afraid of poo because the prep is awful...So bad in fact that I never want a colonoscopy again! Of course I haven't seen a trace of blood since last Monday. Also for you ladies out there, have you found that these kinds of symptoms are worse in the week before your period? I have kept a journal and that is how it is for me. Ok, thank you all and good luck to everyone.
I am so glad I read this chain. My heart goes out to everyone on it. I developed gerd and lpr after a virus put me in the hospital with a naso-gastric tube last July. Since then I have had many of the symptoms described by all of you, especially the throat and voice related problems. I cough the most violent cough I have ever had, even with the worst cold-bronchitis I ever had. It has completely changed my life. The amazing thing is when I first told my doctor of these symptoms he said don't worry it's just post-nasal drip!

I am now on 80 mg. of Aciphex a day after trying many other things and I am so wiped out I can hardly function. Sometimes it feels hard to just get out of bed. My chest hurts all the time. Surgery is being seriously considered by my doctor as the only way to deal with this. My family is very worried about me having it but after reading about results on this site, it seems like a good option. I would love to hear from anyone else on Aciphex to know what your side effects are. I have lost 25 lbs. and feel like there is a lump of rocks in my stomach. How long can you take this much Aciphex before permanent damage sets in?
Hi. I had the test today (sigmoid.) & no cause of bleeding was found. I can't say I am too surprised, I somehow knew he would not find anything. On another note, I asked about DGL & he tried to tell me it would raise my bloodpressure & I humbly said that I read that it wouldn't. He gave me some samples of Nexium instead. (Which I will try just so I don't have to lie about it if he asks) but I don't want to be on that either. I told him how the pain has pretty much been the same on prilosec & sometimes lasted for hours (my personal record is 9hours of pain  at an amusement park with my kids!) Now he is sending me for an ultrasound on Friday to check my gallbladder. I can't believe it! He was very nice today but what do ya think? Is it time for a new doctor or what? Is it possible that I have reflux and a bad gallbladder? He also prescribed ranitidine. Oh goody! More drugs to try. Thanks for letting me sound off here, best wishes to everyone.
I am sorry but I have to correct an error in my previous post: The new drug that my Doc prescribed is REGLAN. I got my "r" drugs confused. Thanks.
hi! i read your inquiry about a wedge for the bed. there is a website call BEDZUP that offers this. it's like 50 something dollars i think, but what the hell? after all the damn $ we spend on these stupid meds....i just went to my g.i. doc today and he wants me to try the last medicine, protonix, which i have serious reservations about. we were discussing the stretta procedure and the laporoscopic nissen. he told me that people with atypical symptoms of gerd such as chest pain generally do not have as good of results with the nissen as people with the typical heartburn symptoms. so where is a person with atypical symptoms supposed to go from here? his group does not do the stretta but he was going to try to find out some more info. for me. i have to go for a gastric emptying and a 24 hr. ph test next week. yippee. i had these tests 5 years ago when i started with this ****, but he says no surgeon would even see me without these tests updated first. good luck to us both.
Thank you for the info on the wedge. I will look into that and I agree about the $. I'd much rather spend it on a wedge than on these meds that may or may not work or may do some other harm. I had to fast dinner last night and I had dry toast this morning. I have been in pain since the test this morning. I have much gas (prob. due to the test) but I am also having my usual pain too. I managed to eat a couple of sips of soup and almost half a sandwich but the pain was so bad that I couldn't eat even though I felt hungry. I read up on the new med he wants me to try & it is for indigestion (which how could I have that when the pain always starts on an empty stomach?) It also can make you tired enough that you should not drive. I am already tired, I don't need any help! I am very frustrated because I just want to know what is going on. I have had all of the "oscopy's" (some more than once) What is left? Thanks again, best wishes to you.
Hi, I have found that when my stomach is really out of  sorts
Porrige oats made with water is a great help.
Of course I do not add milk just sugar to the top.
Sounds dreadful, but its not bad at all.
Don't be surprised with the US results.
OJO.
good luck with the nexium. i was on it for 11 days and could not get off the couch.all of these meds affect your central nervous system somehow, so no thanks. and who knows what the long term complications can be. it took me and my doctors 5 years to figure out that all of my problems stem right from reflux. had my gallbladder checked several times with ultrasound and blood work and i am truly convinced it is all this damn reflux. it can cause some very atypical, almost bizarre symptoms. i get horrible chest pain and tightness, coughing, wheezing, pain and burning around my left shoulder blade, sinus stuffiness. just because i don't typically get heartburn...go figure. if you are not satisfied with your dr., change. what other tests have you had??? the 24 hr. ph/motility is about as definitive as you can get. horrible test but woth the answers i guess. i am having it again in 2 weeks. i had it 5 years ago and it was abnormal then, but dr. seems to think it will be worse now and no surgeon will even talk to me without current test results. all i can say is that this sucks. today was my birthday and i could not even enjoy a nice dinner out with my family. i am so fed up with feeling sick!!!! again, good luck to us both.
prilobabe,
be careful with the Reglan. i know different drugs will affect people different ways but i had a bad experience with Reglan in 1986. it was prescribed by my family doctor to prevent reflux.
it has a tendancy to make you lethargic and ended i up in depession. i didn't realize what had caused it at the time. when i got thru the depression i went back to Reglan and began to feel the same way again. i stopped and have'nt had trouble with depression since. years later it was verified to me by a physciatrist that it could in fact cause depression. also years later i had my reflux diagnosed and am being treated with Nexium with no side effects. many others seem to have a terrible time with it. anyway, good luck. DGO
Thank you for all of the information. I am so sorry about your birthday Kajo. I truly hope that better days are coming soon for everyone. Yesterday I started off with an attitude! I looked back thru a journal that I had been keeping and I typed out all of the symptoms that I had been experiencing. I typed one sheet concerning the stomach pains only and another concerning the rectal bleeding. I dropped them off at the doctor's office. I mean, it is kind of hard to really explain all your symptoms accurately when you are sitting half naked in a johnny after a rather embarassing check up. I have had an endoscopy, a colonoscopy and 2 sigmoidoscopys. I also had bloodwork done in the very beginning of all of this. The doctor who did the endo said that my valve doesn't close all the way so acid can splash back up. I was reading my chart while I was waiting Tuesday and I saw that he wrote down gastritis. both sig tests showed nothing and the colonoscopy showed that everything was healthy. I think I must be looking at 2 different problems although both the stomach pain & the bleeding both are worse around my period.I am going to my GYN today to make sure that the bleeding is not related somehow to endometrios which I just learned can cause rectal bleeding.

Regarding the new drugs, I have not tried the Nexium yet and I have decided not to bother filling the scrip for reglan. I researched it and it does cause depression and lethargy. In fact, the info said you may not want to drive! Personally, I don't need to risk depression. I live in the Northeast and I have trouble (with depression)in the winter as it is. Thanks again for sharing your experiences. I am holding you all in my thoughts and prayers. We can't give up, there is got to be a way to make this stuff better.
could you share about your experience with this test ?
hi, the 24hr. ph probe is a gruelling test. one day you go in and they put an ng tube in your nose. ouch. anyway, they then do some observation, the manometry part i think that measures the pressure of the les valve. then, they hook this god awful tube to some sort of radio looking monitor and you go home with it for 24 hours. they want you to eat and drink like you normally (ha ha ha ) would and you need to also keep a log of what you are feeling, for ex. chest pain, heartburn, whatever your reflux symptoms are, and the time of these symproms. the next day you go back and they yank the tube out. somehow, they coordinate your logged symptoms with the readings on the monitor and wala! reflux or no reflux? acid or no acid? my teat 5 years ago did show that when i experienced chest pain and tightness, it coordinated with the times of abnormal acid levels. are you having the test done? i'm having mine next wednesday. can hardly wait. good luck
Yikes! That PH test sounds awful! I hope it goes well with you & I am sorry that you need that test again. It would be worth it if they could really help you feel better. My GYN is treating me for endometriosis. She actually listened to me! I am trying a certain kind of birth control pill & she wants me to faithfully track the symptoms and go back in a few months. She said surgery was the only way to confirm that diagnosis but she did not want to do it if my problem could be managed some other way. She thinks the stomach problems are something else all together. Friday morning I go for the gallbladder ultrasound. We'll see how that goes. Thank you all for sounding off on this forum. It has really helped me and I realize that I have it easy compared to many of you. Bless you all.