Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Regular (Daily) stomach aches

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Regular (Daily) stomach aches

I'm 65 and had bypass surgery 3 years ago.  Cardiologist says I'm in good health and now sees me every 18 months.  For cholesterol and heart I take 1/2 50 mg Metaprolol with 81 mg apirin in AM + 3 625 mg Welchol, 3 625 mg Welchol at lunch and at dinner I take 80 mg Zocor + 1/2 50 mg metaprolol. Cholesterol reading are 158 total (85 LDL, 43 HDL and 150 Trgls).  A few weeks ago I began to have just a plain old low grade stomach ache near center, just below navel.  Some days it was not noticeable.  Now it seems to be regular.  No diarrhea, stools normal (color and consistency), no nausea, no abnormal weight loss/gain, appetiet good, etc. Comments please. It's the type that Pepto Bismol used to be the cure  - does not effect it now.
Abdominal pain just below the navel can be many things.  Surgeon has mentioned a few in his comments below.  In addition, partial bowel obstruction, intestinal angina, or simple viral gastroenteritis can also cause this type of pain.  

I would first suggest a plain abdominal pain film flat and upright, but it is likely a CT scan would be ordered next to give a more thorough examination.

If those tests are negative, then endoscopy (probably a colonoscopy) would be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
It's not really possible to diagnose such a thing online. However, any abdominal pain which has persisted that long needs an explanation. It could be any number of things, from diverticulitis, to appendicitis, colitis, even tumor. In order to find out, you'll need to see your doc and decide what sequence of tests makes sense. It might include an abdominal CT scan.
i have a question on lowering cholestral.
if taking oat meals for 30 days will rid us of cholestral,then who needs high price lipitor??
Yoshi,

It doesnt rid one of cholesterol, it simply lowers it.  To get the effects of the oatmeal, one must replace two meals a day with oatmeal.  And you must keep on this diet to maintain the lower cholesterol. Most patients just dont want to do diet and exercise, or diet and exercise is not enough...then you add lipitor (or a drug like it)

Gi.PA
I have been wondering if a hernia pain can mask itself as a stomach ache?
Does lipitor and the other like drugs stop the production of cholesterol in the liver?....Is it also true that, for some people, diet and exercise alone won't work because the liver just erroneously produces more?..I ask because my brother who is a very small man, about 5ft 8in and maybe 140lbs, has had very high, 500 range for yrs. and takes lg doses of cholesterol lowering meds. Diet never seems to help him..His wife cooks heart healthy meals, they walk and ride bikes every evening......Mine was also, at one time, in the 260 range but diet got mine down to normal...
well,i am reading the description on the label of quaker oats-eating a good sized bowl of quaker oatmeal for 30 days will actually help REMOVE cholesteral from your body.The soluble fiber in oats binds with cholesterol based acids and prevents it from being absorbed into the bloodstream.