Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Expert Forum
Removal of Gallbladder and Still Have Elevated Liver Enzymes
About This Forum:

This is a place to ask questions about digestive problems and receive a personal answer from a highly qualified doctor. You will also find support from other members who share your interest in digestive disorders. Digestive Disorders include: Anal and Rectal problems, Barrett’s Esophagus, Bleeding in the Stomach and Digestive Tract, Constipation, Crohn’s Disease, Gastritis, GERD, Heartburn, Proctitis, Short Bowel Syndrome, Ulcers, Whipple’s Disease, Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome (and many more).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Removal of Gallbladder and Still Have Elevated Liver Enzymes

I had my gallbladder removed four months ago due to gallstones, and have recently had my liver enzymes re-checked.  My enzymes are higher now than before the surgery. (ALP 188, AST 64, GGT 90, ALT 112).  I have been tested for Hep C and the result was negative.  I am a non-drinker, not overweight (although I have just lost 60 lbs in the past six months after having a baby) and my cholesterol and sugar tests were normal.  The only medication I am on is the birth control pill.  I was also on Tylenol Extra Strength for about 2 weeks following nasal surgery I had in the hospital.  (The Tylenol was taken about 6 weeks before my liver tests.)  I also had a week course of Acyclovir to treat the chickenpox abour three weeks prior to liver enzyme testing.  My question is three-fold: How long after having a gallbladder removed before your enzymes should be back to normal? Can the birth control pill be causing my problems? ( I just started taking it about a month prior to gallbladder surgery) and How long does it take for the other medications I mentioned above to get out of my system?  
  Any information you could provide would be useful.